Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baseboard Trim

Posted by Oreocake (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 17:21

I'm getting new hardwood floors installed next week. The hardwood will raise the floor about 3/4 inch. Trouble is, once the quarter round is put on top, there will only be about 2" of baseboard showing, which looks odd to me. The installer said we could remove the baseboard and put in on top of the floor, but then it won't match up with adjacent rooms (living room, family room and dining room. I don't really want to replace all the woodwork at this time. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baseboard Trim

"...it won't match up with adjacent rooms (living room, family room and dining room. I don't really want to replace all the woodwork at this time. Any suggestions?"

Is the molding continua a round walls into other rooms?

If there is any break no one will notice the height change.

It is is continuous this might be the time to add molding around the openings into other rooms (often called casing).

o

It goes around corners leading into the other rooms, but there are no doors to break it up.

o

Remove the baseboard and then place it on top after. You can do what is called 'return ends' where both baseboards meet. It may require you find small pieces to make the return ends. Return ends work well to make mismatched heights look normal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here