Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandywine72

Rubio vs Woca

Brandywine72
10 years ago

Hi,

I am having installed a reclaimed heart pine floor in my kitchen and have read a lot on Rubio, and a little less about Woca. Though my carpenter is not familiar with either product, he is a good smart guy, willing to learn, so I am gathering as much info as I can. Here are my questions as I try to decide which to go with:

A. VOC - MSDS
I am a cancer patient and absurdly sensitive to various chemical odors. I will use either Rubio or Woca colored oil. Though online pictures of labels of each product boast VOC FREE!, when checking the MSDS for Woca color oil, it says Volatile organic compounds (VOC): "This product contains a maximum of 90 g VOC/L. The limit value is 500 g VOC/L (cat. A/i)"
*Can anybody comment on the conflicting info here for Woca? The info regarding VOC free claims for Rubio seems consistent and accurate.*

B. SAMPLES ODORS
I walked into a guy's workshop a month ago and he had a can of Rubio. (I don't know if it was clear or colored.) I asked to smell it and upon sticking my head in the can, it smelled like veggie oil. Perfectly benign. I then ordered 8 color samples, all of which smelled horrible. Even my general contractor, who is used to toxic products said that the Rubio samples smelled like nail polish. If this is what Rubio smells like it will make me feel awful. With Woca a contractor let me smell a whole container of natural and it smelled ok, though stronger than the veggie oil of the Rubio can. I then got 4 samples of the Woca color and it smelled really strong too.
*Can anybody comment on the smell of colored Rubio vs colored Woca? Can anybody figure out why a whole can or Rubio smelled fine but colored samples smelled horrible?*

C. EASE OF APPLICATION
The Rubio videos and instructions make application seem like a breeze, almost too good to be true. The WOCA seems like a drag to have to do two coats instead of one.
*Can anybody comment on the ease of application of Rubio compared to WOCA, as well as the final look of the product. Do they both look as good when you are done? Do they wear equally well? Can you spot repair them equally well?*

If you are still reading, thanks! I look forward to your replies.

Brandywine

Comments (4)