Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookmom41

Which way to run Marmoleum floor seams?

bookmom41
11 years ago

We are planning on a marmoleum floor in the sheet product for our remodel. Our kitchen is long and narrowish, about 25 feet long and 12.5 feet wide. The flooring store salesperson called today to discuss seams, pointing out the linoleum rolls are roughly 6.5 feet wide. Do we run it with one seam going down slightly off-center but running the 25 feet across the length? Or I guess we could run it going across the width with several seams? We are going with butt seams, not heat welded. We also thought about using two colors of sheet, doing a border as well as a rug-type inlay under the kitchen table, but that sounds like about a million seams right now.

Would love any suggestions and comments about where to put the seams from others with Marmoleum, and would also like to hear from anyone else with ideas about this. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• hags00
    11 years ago

I am laying Click right now in my kitchen and foyer. The recommendation for that is to run the seams parallel with the way light enters the room. I chose not to do it because it is was infinitely easier to lay it the other way and I do see why. I can't see the seams that run parallel to the light but I can see the ones that run the same way as the windows. Not sure if sheet seams would be the same but the info on which way to lay the Click was on the Marmoleum website.

• bookmom41
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion--I'll check the website. That is interesting about the seams and natural lighting. How do you like your click?

• hags00
    11 years ago

I like it, it seems quite durable and is holding up well under the tools and dust of install. I got their medium gray color (Eternity) and it is going quite blue on me in some lights which doesn't thrill me but it is what it is and it is all installed as of a couple hours ago!

• bookmom41
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds pretty! Kudos to you for doing the installation; my flooring shop quoted the sheet as lower cost, said their installation to do the click flooring raises the overall cost considerably.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

You cannot butt seams of sheet Marmoleum; they must be underscribed and cut, but I assume your floor store knows that.

• bookmom41
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glennsfc, I sure hope so! Looks like lots of folks are using the term butt seams to differentiate from the heat-welded seams; even the flooring store called it a butt seam.