Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youngjane

Hardwood in bedrooms and closets or carpeting?

youngjane
11 years ago

For my new construction ranch-style house, I initially planned to use hardwood for the majority of the main floor, and carpeting in all 3 bedrooms. But I am having second thoughts about using carpeting in the bedrooms, as it will break up the look and flow of my open floor plan.

My present home has light colored carpeting and tiled floors. I'm very fussy about housekeeping, and my floors are cleaned weekly so I never see much dust around. However I have a feeling the new construction residence with its mahogany floors will be a lot more work to keep up, which is part of my concern about using it in all 3 bedrooms.

The elegance of hardwood cannot be disputed, but my experience with hard surface flooring of any kind, is that dust tends to visibly float around on it until it is cleaned, whereas carpeting holds the dust until it is vacuumed. To me, that makes the hard surface flooring always seem dustier than carpeted areas. I imagine myself having to run a Swiffer over the new mahogany floors every couple days, which would be a daunting task in a house as large as the new residence is.

As for the walk-in closets, any time I have tried clothing on in a store that has hard surface flooring installed in the dressing rooms, the clothing tends to pick up dust off the floor like a lint magnet. Whereas in carpeted dressing rooms no such thing occurs. So the debate ensues over whether I want the same situation going on in my new house with the Master Bedroom walk-in closets.

Somehow, I can't see carpeting the Master closets alone just to keep the dust down, unless I am also carpeting the Master Bedroom too. The Master Bathroom, which is sandwiched between the bedroom and closets, is tiled.

Some people say that carpeted floors create more dust than hardwood floors. Others say hardwood shows dust immediately and creates more of a maintenance issue. I don't know who to believe or what to do. Any feedback will be very appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (2)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

It would be an odd "open concept" home indeed to have the bedrooms be open to the living space. My point is that what's behind closed doors doesn't affect the flow of the public rooms at all. Carpet is much quieter and softer for a bedroom, and it's making a comeback in the public rooms as well as a reaction to all of the echo-ey space that tall ceilings and hard surfaces have created.

• youngjane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm glad to know that carpeting is making a comeback. And I totally agree about the echoing related to hard surface flooring.

The bedrooms are not literally open to the main living spaces, however there is a centrally located Great Room, Kitchen and Dining Room area, which is flanked by an East Wing and West Wing which houses the bedrooms, etc. In my case the two bedrooms located on the East Wing are actually slated to be His and Her Offices, but technically and for resale purposes they would be considered bedrooms.

I have very wide hallways that lead away from the main living spaces towards the 3 bedrooms, making them somewhat visible from different angles in the Great Room, Kitchen and Dining Room areas, depending on where you happen to be standing.

The mahogany flooring is a very rich, warm and somewhat deep tone. I most likely would go with a carpet color for the 3 bedrooms that is much lighter in color, and not in a woodtone shade, so it's hard for me to imagine the look of the beautiful hardwood floors being abruptly cut off visually at the point where those 3 bedrooms begin, versus the seamlessness and flow of having the hardwood just continue into those rooms.

Area rugs would certainly help to soften and warm the bedrooms, as well as cut down on sound echoing, but there is nothing that can compare to the feel of carpet with padding!