Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ballu_gw

Hardwood floor - peaks and valleys

ballu
10 years ago

Hello people,
First time poster but long time lurker. We went through a mid-size hardwood floor install (~800 Sq. Ft) and I am going nuts wondering if I am being too picky or if the installer screwed up.
The material is reasonably high end Mirage maple solid wood.
There are little peaks and valleys all over the floor which is visually apparent when there is reflection from the windows. I have attached a pic. Is this to be expected in all installs (i.e. I am being too picky) or does this look like a sloppy install?
Thanks for your help!!
For the record, it is not cupping at least as far as can be determined by using a level....

Comments (6)

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Sorry, but it looks like a classic case of cupping to me. Chances are you have moisture either in the substrate or under that...or your room environment is way too dry.

Is this suspended wood construction? How was the wood installed? Is there a crawlspace?

• ballu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

:(
    I am in the mid-atlantic region. This was installed on the main level (on top of a finished basement). A/C has been running at 79. It was a nail down installation (I think the installer used staples). The hardwood was inside the house for over two weeks at my insistence but I was not around to ensure they actually took moisture readings prior to install (they assured me they would do it).
    I had hardwood floors in a small section (no cupping) which was taken out for this remodel. There are no pipes or water source under the floor in this area for any undetected water leaks.
    What are my options?

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

It does look like a standard cupping.
    May be a problem with the product itself. I hate to just jump to that conclusion but i would def call you installers back. Not necessarily their fault so no reason to get angry with them. But i think they should be there and i would get a rep out from mirage to look.

They should be able to do some readings. And hopefully get an idea started.

• jfcwood
    10 years ago

Looks like cupping to me also. I don't think it looks like a sloppy install. There may be a bit of up and down in the subfloor that looks bad with the light coming across the boards but that wouldn't make every board appear like that.
    Solid wood is going to move a bit as it acclimates. Having the wood acclimate in the space helps but the boards won't really move much until they're laid on the floor and exposed to the climate. Was the subfloor moisture tested? Did the installer put down some type of vapor/moisture barrier?

• ballu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the responses.
    "Was the subfloor moisture tested?"
    I was verbally assured that they would do it. I never saw the readings myself.

" Did the installer put down some type of vapor/moisture barrier?"
    Yes, there is Floor Muffler under this. I had wanted some amount of noise reduction and the product was recommended by the installer and as per the manuals it functions as a vapor barrier as well.

Anyway, the installer is coming by on Friday. We will see how it goes.
    Should I create a support issue with Mirage as well?

• jfcwood
    10 years ago

You can, but unless there's some type of flaw with the material or a manufacturing defect, a manufacturer won't warrant against cupping.