Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mannington Adura - Any Recent Opinions?

Posted by gilmoregal (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 16:06

I have read everything that has been posted on these forums about Mannington Adura but just wondered if there are any new opinions. We are considering it to replace carpet in our family room. We like the look of wood but can't use hardwood or laminate because that room has the only door into the backyard and gets daily dirt/moisture tracked in by our family and three dogs. Realizing that nothing is going to look exactly like real wood, are there any Adura patterns that are more realistic than others? What about scratch resistance - the dealer says that she has had no complaints about scratching, but I have read some reviews saying that it scratches terribly. Are lighter colors better for not showing scratches than darker colors? Would appreciate any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mannington Adura - Any Recent Opinions?

Bumping this up....

o

Hi gilmoregal. We are looking at putting this same flooring in our basement and I have been researching about it also. I have read that it scratches plus people have had problems with the edges curling. Not sure if the curling is due to it not being put down correctly or what. We are putting it in a 28 x 23 room and I would hate to spend that money and it turn out looking bad. I was told this is put down with glue. I had also been shown a similar flooring by Konectco however it is a floating floor and each plank sticks to the next one. I could see where this type may curl. I'm just not sure of true comparison of each. If anyone could give any advice, that would be great. Thanks!

o

Gilmoregal:

We are having Adura Distinctive Collection wood planks installed in our kitchen in a couple of weeks (micro-beveled, 5x48 inch planks). We had considered Amtico, but liked the color and look of the Adura the best.

The floor has a 20 year warranty by Mannington and the local, family-owned flooring company we chose guarantees the floor along with their installation, so make sure you choose a reputable company. If a plank would fail, it would be easy to replace. Hopefully, we won't have any problems like that.

A friend of ours had most of her first floor in her house replaced with Adura, and it looks beautiful - like real wood.

Would be interested to hear what you decide for your flooring.

Jan

o

We put in Mannington Adura Summit Hickory about two weeks ago and since then decided on an extensive remodeling. The floor has been subjected to quite an assault - tools skidding, furniture and ladders dragging, etc. We, also, have two dogs that love to run and slide. Even after all this abuse there are no scratches or blemishes. It is a beautiful floor and looks exactly like my daughter's real wood floor.

My experience makes me wonder about those posts describing easy scratching. Are they really posts by some competitor? We are extremely pleased and love the floor.

o

psyched123:

Thanks for your reassuring note. I too had read the post on the Adura scratching, so good to hear of your great experience with your new floor. They are installing my Adura floor in our kitchen as I am writing this.

Where in your house did you have your Adura flooring installed? If this turns out like I expect it to, we plan on putting this down in other rooms also.

Did you put any protectors on your furniture? The installer mentioned felt protectors.

Thanks, Jan

o

Hi, a late post, but we have Mannington Adura in our mudroom hallway and downstairs bathroom (which also has a door the the outside).

Its been installed a little over a year, and ZERO complaints. I think I saw one scratch on the floor last week, but only because I was doing some spot cleaning.

The floor sweeps, vacs and mops with ease.

We have the spalted maple. Here are some pics (excuse the mess).
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

We had the Adura Spalted Georgian Maple installed this week. It's beautiful! But we now have quite a few scratched from furniture and kids playing. I think we've only had the floor for 3 days! Those of you who don't have scratches - are you doing anything to protect the floor from furniture? Is there a way to seal the floor?

o

I don't know why you are getting scratches. We installed Adura about three months ago and have only swept the floor. It looks great - no scratches!

We live in the country and regularly track in sand and grit with heavy boots. We, also, have two very active dogs that are always running on it. It takes a tough floor to handle us and this is one tough floor.

Adura seems to have a very hard surface that, I believe, would take something sharp and metal to scratch it. Could it be that your kids are playing on it hard with something metallic - a toy?

o

I find in experimenting with all my samples of different flooring, mainly laminates, that the color and type of wood grain has a lot to do with how scratches show up. davewg, your floor looks like it would not show a thing, which is very good. However, a darker, more solid color would show every little piece of dirt and scratch.

o

We had Aura installed over 2 months ago and I have not seen any scratches. We have dogs and a cat that regularly are on it.

Those of you who have Adura what cleaning product do you use on your floor? The company that installed our flooring gave me a Mannington spray cleaner and mop kit, but I noticed it says Mannington ULTRA CLEAN - Cleaner for Wood and Laminate Floors. Do you think this is okay to use since it does not mention vinyl? I can't understand why they would give this to me if it would damage our new flooring. It also says Non-Toxic, Waterbased Formula on the spray bottle.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

o

My Adura vinyl planks have been down for a year and a half in the entry, kitchen,Lr/DR, and bath areas of our lake cottage. No problems at all. Easy to clean, looks great, and the dogs don't damage it. The installers seemed careful. I got the installation instructions from Mannington and made it clear that I expected it to be installed per their instructions so the guarentee would be good.

Wood, ceramic or vinyl floors will scuff, scratch, or crack depending on type and its hardness and what impact it takes. But if you pick something suited for the use and use some care you should be able to live with (and keep to a minimum) it's "ageing" or patina. Yes, there are a few scratches but only I notice them and only if I look carefully in the right light. I did replace some chair glides due to scratching. Selecting a medium color with a lot of "movement"-swirl or grain- will result in a floor that looks good far longer than a very dark or more solid looking color.

Before choosing my floor I researched the web sites and checked on the abrasion resistance/hardness and did my own scratch tests on samples (some didn't look so good when I returned them--you know I didn't buy those!). I also looked at some of the commercial vinyl planks--more expensive but more abrasion resistant. Boy, did I look at a lot of flooring! We had samples strewn all over the floor for months.

I'll try to post a pic of the floors.

It's easy to get almost obsessive about finding the right flooring but remember, that like most other things in life, there is not just one good choice.

Good luck.

o

We have been doing a remodel and have put down Manington Adure Acacia Natural Plains and it looks just great. My issue is now that my wife has read all the install, care and feeding for this product she makes it sound like I should learn to fly. I read the post by psyched123 and it sounds like their experience is this flooring is just about bullet proof. I can understand the warnings about staining from rubberbacked mats. I have a fridge on rollers to put back and I was wondering if anyone has done this and what the results were? Thanks

o

I am bumping up this thread since I am interested also in this topic.

o

We are thinking about putting in Mannington Adura Luxury Plank in our entry, kitchen and dining room and also on the stairs from our entry to the kitchen. We are concerned about if holding up especially on the stairs. Has anyone put this product on stairs? If you did,how well has it held up? Thanks.

o

We put Mannington Adura Luxury Plank in the kitchen, diningroom and hallway of our new home. It is only my husband and I - no kids, no dogs. We are VERY fussy about caring for our floors but the Mannington started to scratch IMMEDIATELY! It is TERRIBLE! As far as I know there is no way to camoflauge the scratches. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone!

o

Jeanblt, Thanks for letting me know not to consider Mannington Adura Luxury Plank for my kitchen. I really appreciate you sharing and I feel bad for you since there is no excuses for a floor to scratch immediately with no children and no dogs.

o
RE: Mannington Adura - Tile

Has anyone used Adura Luxury tile? I'm looking at putting it in our kitchen and it looks like a great product. When grouted, it really looks a lot like tile...the best I've seen so far!

I'd appreciate some input.

o

I have just had Adura professionally installed by installers who have installed it before. IT is now an inferior product. This is the worst.
It is made in China and its has no quality control. The boards are random thicknesses. They are uneven. And who knows what it is made of since it is made in China. Mannington will not stand behind their product. Do not use this product.

o

Has anyone experienced curling on the Mannnington Adura Essex oak Lock&Go flooring. We started installing and stopped because over night the butt joints loosened up. The store where purchased suggested heating the joints, I tried and they still are curling up. Not sure if should finish the installation.

o

Wanted to bump this thread to see if the ones that spoke positively about the Adura still thought the same way. Also, did these same folks have professional installation or DIY? Is the Adura glued? I'm looking at Adura, Allure from HD and Konecto, which are both floating. Some folks are very happy, others are very unhappy... This will be for dining, living, hall, master and master bath area (not tub/shower)and I plan on DIY, just my DH and 2 small but seemingly large clawed dogs. Thanks!

o

Thank you everyone who recently warned me about this product since I was thinking of using it in my laundry room. I think I will just stick with Porcelain Ceramic Tile. Right now I have PVC Tile (that utility room type of tile) that was installed around the washer and dryer with a cement floor under the appliances.

o

I am also considering the Adura tile (not wood) for our kitchen. Am wondering how the grout cleans up; if the tile is easy to scratch; any other problems with the tile or do you love it? How long have you had it. What type do you have?
Thanks, Cindy

o

Bumping this cause I have to decide today/tomorrow about Mannington Adura Luxury tile or a vinyl. Color is Patina Beige in the tile and it will be grouted. Any problems with any of their tiles?

o

We recently (Sept/08) had a new home built and had the Luxury Adura Tile, Manhattan A142 and A141, put in throughout our home with the exception of our bedroom floors and are presently having to RIP IT ALL OUT! It is the worst, most expensive junk out there!!
DO NOT INSTALL THIS PRODUCT, Mannington DOES NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS. Too late we found out it is made in China and heaven only knows out of WHAT. It scratches terribly, the tiles separate and lift and it was installed by a reputable flooring company that our builder uses for all his homes!

o

Just installed 240 sq ft of Mannington Adura Plank Oak Espresso in a bedroom, closet amd attached bath. Beautiful and easy to work with ! Any suggestions on a transition fro this 4mm material to carpet with 1/2 " pad at the door?

o

I have Manhattan tiles in Hammer Beige in my kitchen and mud room and the Essex Oak Plank in Harvest in my entry, powder room and hall. I have had them for about 3 years now and still love them.

I have three nearly grown children, two dogs and 12 daycare kids, so I needed something that help up to some use and abuse. I was replacing 12 year old vinyl sheet flooring (from Armstrong, hated it...) Tile was too hard and cold, wood was too much maintenance for the traffic it needed to withstand; with 12 daycare kids comes 12 parents, so 24 pairs of feet, Minnesota winters and springs are MESSY (x 24), add to that my own kids and dogs....well you get the idea...I needed something durable.

Bottom line, I still love it! I had the tiles set at an angle with no grout~they butt directly up to each other~it changes the direction of the grain in the tile and looks really awesome. The wood plank is still mistaken for 'real' wood. It is swept once, sometimes twice a day. It is damp mopped every couple weeks in the winter, once a month in nicer months, using the Mannington Rinse free cleaner.

The only complaint that I have is two scratches that I have on the floor, but they were my own fault. They were caused from dragging my dining room table (VERY heavy) across the floor with out felt pads under the legs. When I called Mannington, they gave me suggestions for repairing the scratches. It helped; they are less noticeable, but still there. I have since put felt pads under all chair, table and stool legs and have had no problems.

I have not had any problems with edges lifting, excessive scratching or nicks and we are not overly-cautious with the floor. We just live our very busy lives! I am surprised to read of the problems that others have had, because I really my Adura floors :-)

o

Bumping this thread because I just "discovered" Mannington Adura today. I was happy to see something that could replace our lower level carpet but NOT be tile or hardwood. Was happy about the fact that some of the Adura applications could be groutless. I would like to hear more honest opinions and updates, please!

o

We have had our Adura Mannington Wood Beveled Wide Planks almost 2 years in my kitchen and love it!!!! We have constant traffic on the floor....dogs, cat, humans!!!!
I like the low maintenance of the floor.

We have had no problems whatsoever with scratching, curling, etc. It is a high quality, heavy-duty product. We had it professionally installed.

o

I'm bumping this up because I see that those who installed Adura a couple years ago still love it, while some who have had it for less time don't like it. I also see the comments about "made in China". Could the quality level have dropped recently? Is there anyone out there who has had Adura installed for a year or so who still thinks it's good stuff? I am trying to find a "ceramic tile" look-alike that can be laid and grouted on a kitchen subfloor that is too out of flat for ceramic or laminate. Thanks.

o

We just had the Manhattan tiles in White Iron installed while remodeling our main bath. After reading this I have been worried about the floor being scratched while finishing the remodel. Last evening we installed the pedestal sink. My husband held the sink while I adjusted the pedestal, which meant I had to slide it on the floor. The bottom of the pedestal was rough so I was sure the floor would have scratches. I was pleasantly surprised to not find any scratches! I love this floor! We also had to slide the claw foot tub to get it into position and no scratches! I highly recommend this floor.

o

Hi denise 2036
I was wondering did you use the grout with the Adura Manhattan tiles? My neighbor is looking at the same tile and was wondering about whether she should consider using the grout. She wants to install this in her kitchen.

o

Beware Mannington Adura Flooring!

Read your warranty carefully- the warranty covers virtually nothing that you might expect to be covered! We found out the hard way….

Within a month of installation, we noticed several scratches on our floor, we are quite sure was caused by ordinary dirt or pebbles that came in on our shoes. The floor retailer who sold us the product (B Knight flooring) said that he was amazed the floor became so disfigured in such a short time, and gave us information about contacting Mannington for warranty service.

The person at the Mannington Customer Care basically said unless the laminate was splitting off or the product stained oddly or faded out, they could not help us.

The sad thing is, the vinyl flooring we had in our house took several years to become as scratched and scarred as the Adura vinyl tile is after only a few months.

So, despite what Consumer Reports or others suggest, you should consider Adura Mannington in areas only if no one will walk on it!! Again, we learned the hard way.

o

It's been three years since I put down Mannington Adura Summit Hickory. You can look at my first post Oct '07. We could not be happier with this floor. Three years of a ranch family with two running dogs and it looks perfect. I've read the negative reviews on this post and simply can't believe their experience with this floor. It is hard to believe that a family could be harder on a floor than we have and it still looks absolutely great!

The reason that I am on this post again is that it's held up so well that I am considering putting this floor in my rent house and wanted to see any updates.

I am highly suspicious of the negative posts, especially the ones about it being made in China. What isn't made in China these days?? Sounds like scare tactics. Based on my three years, those posts look like competitors trying to scare consumers. I laid the floor myself and the quality and the sizing was perfect - always a perfect fit and easy to lay. Get some samples and test them yourself. This is one tough floor.

o

Yesterday I stopped by my local Abbey flooring franchise and learned that in the last few months Mannington has started changing its Adura luxury vinyl plank system (floating floor) to a click and lock system rather than a tab system. (I hope this makes sense)

He said he has had trouble with every vinyl tab system he has ever sold, regardless of the manufacturer. Mannington is evidently leading the way in the click and lock vinyl plank floating floor system. The Abbey flooring guy expects other manufacturers to follow suit.

Has anyone used Adura with the new installation method? I'm getting closer to making a decision on my kitchen and dining room floors so input would be very helpful

Thanks,

A girl named "Max"

PS: this is not spam by Abbey or Mannington. I'm just a gal doing a major rehab on her modest home.

o

We have the Audura tile in our kitchen and mudroom. The grout is cracking along each edge of the tile. Mannington says that it hasn't seen this problem. The store regrouted it and the cracks came right back. The store is now claiming it is because my 30 some year old house is settling. Any one else have this?

o

We had an Adura Floor installed in August 2010 - Adura Athena with Almond Grout. DO NOT GET THIS GROUT! We live in the country with two dogs. The dirt gets into the grout lines and you CAN NOT get the grout clean - Mannington suggested that I use a toothbrush to clean the grout - I have 280 sq ft - are they joking? Love the tiles but the grout is a mess.

o
RE: Mannington Adura - Summit Hickory colors

Can anyone post a picture of their floor done in Summit Hickory in any of the three colors ( mesquite, chestnut or saffron)?

o

We just saw this flooring at a local store and loved the Vintage Oak in Espresso. We are planning on using it in our basement and it is a very large area so any recent reviews would be helpful.

It is quite a bit more money then the Allure Ultra which we had been considering prior to this.

Any new installs of the click and lock Adura would be appreciated!

o

All flooring manufacturers like to claim that they have the newest and greatest non-real flooring that looks and behaves real. Mannington fills a narrow a gap between laminate, engineered, and tile flooring. They produce resilient flooring that is making inroads in those three areas because it is increasingly looking and behaving like the real thing.

o

After reading the comments, I get more confused. We are seriously looking at put the plank look in a bedroom and bathroom. We would like to DIY. The Lock N Go type. Did anyone use adhesive at all or just around the edges? How about on a heated cement floor?

o

I wouldn't trust the quality of "Made in China" flooring. Flooring is just too large an investment in the home. Chinese manufacturing plants are notorious for having awful, or no quality control.

It's not just flooring, there are recalls frequently because Chinese made products have been hazardous, not just defective: kid's toys and clothing both containing lead. Light truck tires which were falling apart, tainted seafood, poisoned toothpaste. Pets across the U.S. were poisoned and died because of ingredients in pet food was being sourced out of China. They were putting melamine (plastics) and cyanuric acid into pet food ingredients.

Adura and the also much-discussed Novalis planks are both made in China. it's too much of a crap shoot to hope I'd get a quality run. God knows what chemicals were added to their production mix on any particular day, so how can there be any confidence regarding the offgassing into our homes?

As for the question posed earlier, "What isn't made in China"....
Well, I found a quality luxury vinyl plank made right here in the USA: Amtico, sold at quality flooring stores and also available at all Lowes stores. It passes the California Indoor Air quality standards, and supports U.S. jobs and families, and is likely way safer for the health of my family. To me, that is worth a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pet Food Article

o

Just finished installing Adura Summit Hickory planks in our dining room and it looks fabulous. My wife and I did it ourselves and found it to be one of the easiest flooring materials I've ever worked with. You MUST have a properly prepared underlayment. Mannington's glue takes forever to set up, so had alot of wait time between sections. As far as how the floor will hold up, only time will tell. We researched a ton of products and The Adura seemed the best choice. I previously installed Adura tile in a main bath with grout and again the tile,glue and grout were easy products to work with. The tile has only been down a month so long term performance hasn't been determined. Based on my "testing" this flooring should hold up very well. Again, alot of peoples problems may be due to improper underlayment prep. All vinyl tile will scratch so you must take precautions like putting felt pads under legs and using rugs at entrys to stop sand and grit. I'll update as time goes on.

o

We're thinking about putting Mannington Adura tile in our basement rec room. We've chosen the Brushed Steel and don't want grout. The salesmen at two different flooring companies have told us we'll need to remove the existing floor first. Currently, we have vinyl tile squares with the peel & stick backing which has come loose in a few spots but for the most part has stuck pretty well. Underneath the current floor is another layer of vinyl (?) tile squares which were I'd assume were original with the house which was built in 1959. That layer was fairly smooth when we installed the current layer, but in a few spots that tile was either removed or it came off. Now we've had two guys come out and look at the room and give estimates. The first just estimated based on removal and installation but he didn't say whether or not the removal HAD to be done. The second said don't bother removing any of the existing floor, but they could put something over the existing floor and install the new floor over that. I don't recall what he actually called the product that would go over the current floor (?) If we can install the new floor without removing the old, that would be great for holding down cost and labor. The guy that said don't remove the old floor comes from a long-lived lumber company in town that has a good reputation so we tend to think what he says is o.k. Has anyone else installed Mannington Adura vinyl tile over an existing floor? Any recommendations one way or the other?

o

I am looking for a set of installation instructions & warranty paperwork for Mannington's Adura vinyl plank flooring from 2007 or 2008. We had this flooring professionally installed and are now encountering various problems that Mannington claims are not covered by warranty. Want to see if they changed the installation guidelines between 2008 and today. Please help!!

o

Installing Mannington Adura tiles in our kitchen and dining room. We are not using grout. A neighbor intalled it and loves it. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

o

Deb - could be that original floor might have asbestos in it. you'd have to have a piece tested and if so special hazard people remove it.

I'd go with laying new over it all. tho, I might stop into that lumber company and talk to them some more about it.

o

Do Not Purchase. Installed in our kitchen because we liked the idea of waterproof and believed the claim of durability. After 3 days of installation, we have two major scratches. I took a spoon (yes a spoon) to a scrap piece, held the piece in one hand and the spoon in the other and it scratched every time.
I'm now looking at a 30,000 kitchen remodel with this cheap ass floor that will have to be replaced every year.

It will not stand up. Don't waste your money.

o

I had the Adoura luxury vinyl (Yunan) installed in my master bathroom over old vinyl and without grout over three years ago. It looks good, is easy to clean and I've had no problems with it. Now plan to install same vinyl tile in the small bathroom over old ceramic tile in that room (octagon shaped tiles, about 2.5" in diameter). Called Mannington to ask for advice and they weren't very helpful. She mentioned that it needed to be "skim coated," roughened up, and leveled out. Can anyone tell me what these mean?

o

I put Adura planks in my kitchen and bath about 4 years ago and I love it. With three big dogs running around and dribbling their water (and a few pee spots), it still looks great. No scratches at all. We got a very dark color. In the bath, it was installed (by someone else) right over top of ceramic hex tiles. Sorry, but I don't know how he did it. The skim coat she mentions may be a self-leveling compound. I don't know why it would have to be roughened up though.
good luck.

o

Resurrecting this thread - I am also considering the Adura wood-look planks and would like comments from those who have it. Thank you.

o

We installed Mannington Adura lock-solid timber ridge and it scratches way to easy, for the price of that product it should not do that, we have no animals and are retired. Granted, someone here said the darker will show much worse, the people that have it for several years and have animals and dirt and are not seeing the scratches and marks they are there, trust me.

o

We would like to know if anyone is having problems with grouted Adura tiles. The grout is coming away from the tile. The tiles have been regrouted and it's happening again.

o
RE: Mannington Adura - mnzinnia

In looking at vinyl plank floors for a long period of time before you bought, what did you learn? Were there kinds that looked bad, scratched easily, etc? I have just begun looking and would like to learn from your experience. Thanks.

o

I'm thinking of putting vinyl plank in my dining room, I'm now confused by the totally mixed reviews! I wish I knew how each person installed it, was it floating? was it glued? I'm wondering if this would make the difference in how it holds up.
I have an older dog who has pee accidents despite having confined him to 1 area surrounded by pee pads and then using pull up on him..the accidents still manage to happen. This is the reason I've decided against hardwood and laminate.

Vinyl seems like the perfect solution, but now after reading about scratching and curling, I'm worried it won't hold up. Then I see other reviewers who love it and have house full of pets. If you are still on this forum, please let us know how the flooring was installed.

Thanks!

o

I'm totally confused too, city mouse. And I have a tiny house so would have to put the same thing in living/dining/hall. I know I would not put mannington. My parents had a high quality regular mannington years ago. It wore awfully (at the time only they were living in the house. It was in the kitchen.() Mannington would not stand behind it. I would say if you get it (I have to find out if i can find something I really like and that looks real as well) get the thickest you can find. There is a big difference. Adn don't get mannington. I had forgotten about my parents ever having vinyl until I saw on another forum complaints about the manning ton

o

Hi there. I have been looking for some advice as I have Mannington Adura grouted tiles that were installed 2 years ago by a reputable installer and there is lots of trouble. The scratching is horrible and 2 months ago I noticed that the grout is pulling away from the tiles. Mannington says this is an installer issue and the outfit I purchased the flooring from says they want to try regrouting it. We did that 3 months after they installed the flooring... obviously does not work.... any ideas.

JOY_123 hopefully you are still on this site and can let me know what you did with yours.

o

Very unhappy! We installed the Mannington Adura Distinctive Plank locksolid in our basement. We were encouraged by both the manufacturer and retailer that it is great for basements. It was installed approx a month ago and we are seeing a lot of gapping where it was locked together. The problem is, because the product is so pliable and thin, it bends and pulls apart if your floor is not absolutely level to the extreme. The lip where it supposedly locks together is only about an eighth of an inch wide and pulls apart easily if it is not fully supported by a perfectly level subfloor underneath. While your floor may look level, it probably isn't, no basement floor is. Mannington told us (after the fact) that we can expect gapping to occur if we did not have our floor professionally leveled and embossed before installing their product. We did have imperfections in the concrete professionally sanded smooth but did not have it embossed and professionally leveled. They said we would have to let them analyze the product in a lab and prove that the product is out of square for them to cover the gapping issue. I do not think we would have had this problem with a laminate floor as it is rigid and would not bend and pull apart anywhere there is the slightest imperfection. Unless you are willing to spend the money to have your floor analyzed and made absolutely perfect before install, I would not recommend this product. Even then, I feel the floor could move and pull apart over time as they tell you to leave gaps all around the perimeter. We made a huge mistake buying this floor!

o

Have "tested" samples on my kitchen floor (i.e. throwing cans of food at the sample tiles to see what would happen; dropped some fairly heavy kitchen items on it; etc). I tried it with Armstrong Alterna (color was Canyon Sun), Congoleum Duraceramic, and Mannington Adura (Dynasty type). The Adura performed much better than the other two. Duraceramic ended up with a bunch of small cuts/splits/tiny chips, and Alterna ended up with a couple of larger chips (which exposed the white material underneath and looked really bad with dark tile). I don't think you'd want to go too dark with any of them if you are putting this in a kitchen. ANY MORE COMMENTS from those who have installed it in a kitchen/entry way???? It's a open/small area so I really need to do the same flooring in both the kitchen/entry/dining room to tie it all together. Just not sure what to do... LVT is quite expensive and I don't want to have to re-do it in 10 years. Any advice (not fake stories from sales people) would be appreciated. Thanks!

o

Any recent experience with Mannington Adura luxury vinyl tiles (grouted)?? Looking at "medium" color.

Have "tested" samples on my kitchen floor (i.e. throwing cans of food at the sample tiles to see what would happen; dropped some fairly heavy kitchen items on it; etc). I tried it with Armstrong Alterna (color was Canyon Sun), Congoleum Duraceramic, and Mannington Adura (Dynasty type). The Adura performed much better than the other two. Duraceramic ended up with a bunch of small cuts/splits/tiny chips, and Alterna ended up with a couple of larger chips (which exposed the white material underneath and looked really bad with dark tile). I don't think you'd want to go too dark with any of them if you are putting this in a kitchen. ANY MORE COMMENTS from those who have installed it in a kitchen/entry way???? It's a open/small area so I really need to do the same flooring in both the kitchen/entry/dining room to tie it all together. Just not sure what to do... LVT is quite expensive and I don't want to have to re-do it in 10 years. Any advice (not fake stories from sales people) would be appreciated. Thanks!

o

A follow-up post, we still love ours. we have a dark color in the kitchen, powder room and the small foyer at our front door. I don't know about the "grout" issue. We don't have any grout. It was glued down and none of it has curled up. and contrary to LJB1248's opinion, we really don't have any scratches. I don't know that we have ever dropped anything heavy on it, but the dogs haven't harmed it at all.

this is a photo of it in the bath.

o

Thanks, jules8!

o

After waiting years to get to the point where I could install the flooring in my kitchen/dining/living room...I am so dishearted to see the bad reviews on the Adura. I have several friends who have used this and sing praises. They have used the glue down system, and I wanted to use the floating. I am watching this thread with great interest and would appreciate other opinions. Thanks to those of you who added your beautiful pictures...it helps to visualize the different selections.

o

Mannington Adura locking vinyl plank flooring is TERRIBLE flooring. . We purchased the new Adura locking plank flooring for our lake home, and had it professionally installed. Within two months, the ends of many planks started to peak (curl up), and some of the seams started to warp. A representative from the store came out and saw it immediately. He took photos which clearly show the defect, and sent them to Mannington. Mannington said it's not their problem, and that the problem "must be environmental." They were unable to explain to me what they meant by that. I had to threaten to sue to get Mannington to even look at our floors. After sending an "independent adjuster", Mannington called and said they were denying our claim as it was not a problem with the flooring. When I asked what they felt the problem might be, they said it was "an HVAC problem", meaning a temperature control issue. When I told them we have central air, and used it all summer, they said it was still an HVAC problem. When I asked if they meant that anyone who buys a Mannington floor has to keep their windows closed at all times (so no fresh air even on cool days), I was simply told they recommend a temperature controlled environment. If you do buy a Mannington Adura vinyl plank floor, I'd plan on having costly problems with the floor, and having Mannington refuse to back their product. (By the way, the floor we bought also scratches VERY easily, although we were told it was very scratch resistant and good for high traffic areas.)

o

I love my Mannington flooring and can tell you this. I've installed it in my last two homes and it's been fabulous. Never had one problem. It's had lots of pets and people on it yet has held up great. Looks as good now as when first installed (had it for 18 years in my last house). To anyone in this forum who has had a different experience, may I suggest this? Instead of complaining here, contact Mannington and give them a chance to help. No product's perfect but I've found Mannington to be very reputable-so have my friends who have their flooring. This board is an example of what's unfortunate about the internet. Alot of people use forums to just complain & stir others up instead of doing the fair thing--contacting the company (or person) they have a problem with directly and giving them the chance to make things right. Also bet that there's more to the story with some of these angry posters and that's why they prefer to complain here than to go straight to the source. Think about it--Mannington has a website so why not go there as file your complaint instead of railing on them here? Just saying...there are two sides to every story. As for me, I love my Mannington floors.

o

Thanks, MsMurphy. I am planning to purchase Mannington Adura luxury vinyl floor tile very soon and I hope it works out as a great, long-term solution for my house!

o

Actually i have contacted Mannington and their rep finally came out 6 months later and have not heard anything back from him

As you can see in the picture the grout is pulled away from the tile. I have had 3 other companies/installers come and look and they all said the same thing... the tile is shrinking. I have 1980 square feet of this and 80 % of it has this problem

While the mannington rep was here he did mention that in the last couple of years they have seen this over 15 times. ..... But other than just grouting over the old grout they don't know what to do.... Now it has been 8 months since I contacted Manninton themselves and they are still not doing anything.

IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THE TILES. I STILL DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT OR THIS COMPANY

You know I think back on it and the only reason I went with this product was because it boasted on how much warmer it was than ceremic.... but it costs close to the same... wish I would have went with ceremic.... P.S I do have a lawyer involved now and we will see what he comes up with.

And I posted here to let others know there is problems. If you had my flooring you would be choked.... as I am
Josey

o

Actually i have contacted Mannington and their rep finally came out 6 months later and have not heard anything back from him

As you can see in the picture the grout is pulled away from the tile. I have had 3 other companies/installers come and look and they all said the same thing... the tile is shrinking. I have 1980 square feet of this and 80 % of it has this problem

While the mannington rep was here he did mention that in the last couple of years they have seen this over 15 times. ..... But other than just grouting over the old grout they don't know what to do.... Now it has been 8 months since I contacted Manninton themselves and they are still not doing anything.

IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THE TILES. I STILL DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT OR THIS COMPANY

You know I think back on it and the only reason I went with this product was because it boasted on how much warmer it was than ceremic.... but it costs close to the same... wish I would have went with ceremic.... P.S I do have a lawyer involved now and we will see what he comes up with.

And I posted here to let others know there is problems. If you had my flooring you would be choked.... as I am
Josey

o

http://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura/Search.aspx?FilterCollections=1
is the URL for Mannington Adura 16x16 tile. I think this is what you have, Josey, correct?

Thank you much for posting your info and your photos!

I need to purchase 550SF and even that will be quite expensive. I wonder if I should go back to my LVT original choice, which was Congoleum DuraCeramic..... We decided on LVT because it would be warmer and "more forgiving" when standing a lot and because installation should be easier (we are installing ourselves).

Hmmmm. I need to purchase something in less than a month......

Here is a link that might be useful: Mannington Adura LVT 16x16

o

Would love to hear more from anyone who has installed Mannington Homestead luxury vinyl plank flooring! Any recent opinions/experience?? I am looking at a 6" x 36" plank, glue-down installation over 1/4" birch underlayment. Need to make a decision very soon! Thanks much for any input!! (I like the Karndean brand a lot but I'm pretty sure it's out of my price range.......)

o

Experience with Mannington Adura "Lock Solid" Vinyl Planks (floating floor)?? I am looking at either the 4"x36" planks (square edge style) or the 5"x48" (micro-beveled edge style)...I'm down to a couple of colors and they all look great! Is it worth the money?? It is NOT cheap ;) Thanks! This will be about 500 SF in kitchen, entry, casual dining area, and hallway.

o

Ok. A little clarity please.

I saw this stuff in the store today. Fake wood planks look GOOD. Considering for my basement, which can be humid, and real wood not an option.

China, scratches, grout, oh my.

1. My real hardwood scratches
2. My real ceramic tile grout needs to be cleaned, and occasionally regrouted to look pristine

So, what is the real deal? I suggest pictures ONLY. I have seen precious few pictures. A few showing beautiful floors, and one nitpick on grout cracks that are microns thin

As an engineer, I could buy the level floor thing, but again PICTURES. Anyone? good or bad. Anonymous talk is just that. Some people make mountains out of molehills. Others promote, others denigrate competing products.

If you have beautiful floors, post a pic. If you have curls, then you HAVE a pic - post it.

Thanks

o

Glad this thread was revived. Like the previous poster, I, too, would love to see some pictures of installed Adura floors, especially the grouted options.

So, bring on the pics :-)

o

I've been following this thread with great interest.

My wife and I need to replace the carpeting in a twenty-year-old rancher. We like the looks of Mannington "LockSolid" Adura Plank vinyl flooring in the Essex Oak Honeytone pattern. We also like the fact that the planks can be easily assembled to form a floating floor, although we will have a flooring contractor do the work.

Like several others, I don't know what to make of the contradictory claims regarding Adura.

So far, I count eight posters here who are highly critical of Adura in regard to scratching, curling, pulling apart, or quality control. I'm suspicious of these posters, because (1) Adura is the only topic any of them has posted about, and (2) with one exception, they made their derogatory posting on the same day they joined gardenweb. As psyched123 wrote, they look like competitors trying to scare consumers. But how can we know if that's really what any of them are?

On the other hand, a number of other posters to this thread report no such problems with Adura.

So I'd like to repeat 84hokie's plea for pictures, good or bad. If your Adura looks great, or if instead it's defective, PLEASE post a picture! Especially if it's of the LockSolid product.

o

I am also interested in seeing pictures as we need to make a flooring decision very soon and are leaning toward Adura...and a lot of it, 950 sf....and the price of a used car...for vinyl! Ugh.

I just need something that will stand up to the traffic of a family of 7 living in a rural-ish area. I'm worried about scratches, especially with kitchen chairs.
Please post your problem pictures!

o

Mannington Vinyl is junk. I purchased about 1000 sq ft of the vinyl plank that locks together and free floats. Once I got the majority put in and was in a room where sun shown through the window I noticed that the butt ends were slightly curved up. This was very obvious in a well lite room. I called the store I purchased it from and brought some in to show them. They contacted a rep. who made it sound like it was a common issue and new flooing was ordered. When it arrived I put together a couple boxes in the well lit area and had the same problem. I returned it again and ordered flooring from another company. The jist of this post however is to explain how bad the company takes care of customers. When I installed the first batch of flooring I hired a contractor/friend to help me. Through the store I asked to be reimbursed for my labor costs during the first batch of flooring. The rep. replyed and refused saying that since I didn't use an approved installer labor wasn't covered. Even though he admitted the floor was defective and had nothing to do with the intallation. Buyer Beware!!!

o

idahnt, What flooring did you buy after the Adura, and are you happy with it?

o

I'm an installer for a reputable flooring store in north east KS. And I can honestly say the Adura Locksolid is a great product. I have it in my own home an it has suffered some real abuse, but has held up great. I have never had to go back on a Locksolid installation that we installed, but I have had to go back on a few DIY installations because of gapping. And all that was wrong was that it simply wasnt put together correctly. It takes alot more effort than is advertised to get the planks locked correctly. This stuff, in my opinion is a fantastic product, I'm going to order more to install in our kitchen and dining room next week. Just need to use the felt protectors that have hard plastic between the felt and the wood on the chairs or tables and take care when sliding heavy objects over it. Like with any floor a little care is needed but the locksolid flooring is great stuff. Hope this helps.

o

A followup to my posting in this thread on September 16 last year. I was asking whether to believe postings that were highly critical of Mannington Adura vinyl flooring.

We decided to go ahead and have "LockSolid" Adura in the Essex Oak honeytone pattern installed in our rancher by a local builder. We had had no problems with this flooring. It's holding up against normal foot traffic and it looks beautiful! We're very happy with the Adura.

o

Does anyone have any input on purchasing Mannington from one of the online retailers such as efloors.com? The Mannington website cautions against using online retailers but I have to wonder how the online retailers get the volume of materials that they do if this is without the permission of Mannington in the first place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here