Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Residue on Hardwood Floor...help!

Posted by bostonterrier00 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 16:05

Hi All,
I first used orange glo hardwood cleaner, the one that comes in the spray bottle. I loved it, but ran out. So I went to walmart to get more. I couldn't find the exact one and ended up getting Orange Glo Hardwood Floor Cleaner and Polish. I cleaned out the used up spray bottle abd filled it with the new one.This left an icky residue on the floor. There was no shine after I put it on and there were streaks. By putting this into a spray bottle, did it put air bubbles in the cleaner? Leaving the floor dull?

Anyways, my original question is, I need to really clean the floor good and then retry cleaning it with the original cleaner (which I ended up finding in a different isle at walmart). What is the safest and most gentle way to clean it, so that I can get the shine back? Thanks and if you need anymore info just let me know!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Residue on Hardwood Floor...help!

I am hoping someone can help. I see no one answered the person above who apparently had the same problem I did. We just bought a 4 year old house with what I believe to be prefinished hardwood floors. My husband, without telling me bought the Orange Glo Hardwood cleaner and polish in the green bottle (made by BonaKemi). He cleaned with it last week and today I tried to use my old hardwood floor solution (don't know the name of it because I put in a spray bottle) and there is this terrible haze on the floor and you can see all the streaks from the cloth mop head. It looks really horrible in certain parts when the light hits it just so. I am really sick to my stomach about this. I used the same cleaner in the bottle I used today on my old 50 year old hardwood floors plus my 2 year old prefinished wood floors in my old house and never had this problem. I am sure it has to do with this Orange Glo Hardwood Cleaner and Polish my husband used last week. How can I safely remove this polish and haze off my floors. Please, someone with some floor know how please help me.

Thanking in advance for any advice.

Donna

o

Live and learn!!

Call Bona, and ask them how to strip it without harming the finish, any further!!

o

Have you tried using the vinegar and water solution?
I have always used a very dry damp mop to clean hardwood floors. I have not damaged one yet. I would never reccommend using the hardwood floor cleaners. You never know what is in there. You could test a small spot that is out of sight before using it on the entire floor. Just never us the swiffer wet jet. It will also build up.
It also may come off just damp mopping as often as you can to remove it. I don't think you will have to refinish it.
I have used vinegar and water mixture to clean a very bad looking floor.

o

Do NOT use this Orange Glo product nor buy any of the ebooks folks are trying to sell you on how to remove the build up/haze. I called Orange Glo's customer service line directly and found out how to remove this product off the floor. Their solution? Plain old ammonia and good old fashioned hands and knees elbow Yup, an entire weekend on my hands and knees, to get the floors back to their original luster because there was so much build up on them.

We've been using this product and at first it really looked nice but then the floors started looking dull and very scratched up. I didn't understand why and then noted streaks where some parts of the floor were shiny and others were dull so I scraped with my fingernail and removed some product. Underneath it was shiny. So I decided to Google and found that lots of people were having the same problem!

Directions from Orange Glo's customer service line:

1. Mix 1/2 cup of ammonia with 1 gallon of warm water.
2. Apply solution to floor with mop in inconspicuous place first to test.
3. Once you determine it's okay to use on your floors...apply to floor and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. Wipe up the solution with a clean soft cloth.
5. Wipe with circular motion if there is more of a build up.
6. According to how much build up you have...you might have to repeat the process until it's all off.

I'm very disappointed this product is still being sold in stores as no one should ever use this on their floors!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rantings of a Creole Princess

o

I agree, this product should be taken off the shelves. I was advised to use in on our brand new hardwood floors for a shine and now all me have are dule residue floors. They look really, really bad. We are so disappointed and wonder if the shine will ever come back to our hardwoods.

o

OMG. orange glo should be removed from stores. I have a build up that I can not remove. I have tried amonia and a rubber scraper, a teflon scrubber, a majic eraser and mineral spirts. Four hours later I have a four foot section somewhat clean. Help! Does anyone have another idea?

o

I am so glad I read all these posts. I was about to use OrangeGlo on my hardwood floor to remove the residue from an area rug that had a rubber pad underneath it. The residue is more like a tackiness that the rubber left behind. Anyone have a solution for that?

o

We just recently moved into a home with Anderson pre-finished wood flooring (I found half a box in the garage). They look horrible. They are a dark cherry color, but have a whitish haze and streaks all over them. When I open the curtains, the light hits the floors and accentuates this. I don't know what the previous owner used, and I'm afraid to experiment. I've gotten contradicting suggestions from professionals... from hot water with vinegar, to a steam mop. I've contacted Anderson Flooring and waiting on a reply.

o

I just tried the steps Creoleindc posted and they work perfect. If you have heavy build up you will need to do this twice with a mop. However, if you get down on your hands and knees and scrub a bit you only have to do it once. I decided just to mop it twice.

1. Mix 1/2 cup of ammonia with 1 gallon of warm water.
2. Apply solution to floor with mop in inconspicuous place first to test.
3. Once you determine it's okay to use on your floors...apply to floor and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. Wipe up the solution with a clean soft cloth.
5. Wipe with circular motion if there is more of a build up.
6. According to how much build up you have...you might have to repeat the process until it's all off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here