Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterlox on white pine floors - need stain?

Posted by lizzie_nh (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 16:00

We are strongly considering installing wide plank eastern white pine flooring, and finishing them with Waterlox. Can anyone tell me how the Waterlox will alter the color of the wood, after 3 or 4 coats? Ideally we would have something approaching a "pumpkin pine" shade - definitely not a light natural pine color. (That is, I'd like the floors to be a more dark-ish orange-ish color, and not light-ish yellow-ish.)

I watched the how-to video on the Waterlox website and it makes it seem as if the final color on light-colored bare wood will be what I want, but I'd like to hear about other people's experience with it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterlox on white pine floors - need stain?

Definitely orange-ish, lizzie. We did 4 coats on our Douglas fir attic (sub)flooring last fall and it has a definite orange cast, not yellow at all. I'd call our floor medium to medium-dark, but the fir probably started out with more of a range of light-to-dark shades than your white pine. Do a test board to see if it's as dark as you'd like. Remember that the wood will also darken some over time and exposure to light.

We're really happy with how the Waterlox finish turned out in spite of the fact that we were total novices at floor finishing. And the best part is no more splinters when barefoot!

o
RE: Waterlox on white pine floors - need stain?

Thank you! We are DIY-ing it and I was happy to learn about the existence of Waterlox. It looks easy to apply (and I realized that if I need stain, I can mix it (depending on ingredients) into the first coat of the Waterlox.) I like the idea of a finish which can be spot-repaired, and we're also looking for a rustic "old New England house" style, which I won't get from polyurethane. I think this is the right choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here