Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can my newly installed hardwood floor flaws be fixed by filler?

Posted by heidiz (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 15:55

Hi, We recently had pre-finished oak hardwood floors installed. All in all we are pleased... however, there a few planks that have a rough, splintery spots. If I run my hand over the areas it seems as though the wood could peel up and make a splinter. Is this typical? Can I fix these areas with wood filler or should I call the floor installer about this? The installer has already replaced a few planks that had scratches. Thanks, Heidiz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can my newly installed hardwood floor flaws be fixed by fille

I'll be the first to admit, little stuff on the edges are hard to see, when looking at boards before installing them.

A quick sweep of the hand(hope you have calluses!) to see if there is a splintered edge, doesn't take long, but is rarely done, because of the fear of blood and running a wood sliver into your hand.

Get the splinter off as well as possible and fill it. You may need to mix two tints together to get a better match.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here