Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Dupont's new Sorona carpet

christie_sw_mo
18 years ago

We're just starting to shop around for new carpet for a heavy traffic area and this seems like good stuff for the price. At least the warranties look good in comparison. I don't know if it's been around long enough to get opinions on it's performance. Does anyone have it?

Comments (155)

• lisa312509
    15 years ago

Need help!! I see a small black spot on my 4 month old Sorona carpet. I think it might be a tar spot from my son's baseball cleats. How does one get tar out of carpet? Will it be easier since it's dupont Sorona?

Have a great holiday!!

• carpetgirl
    15 years ago

Lisa -

If you want to try to do this yourself and not get a pro, you're going to need to get a solvent to break up the tar. Mineral spirits, turpentine or something that is really made to break up oils - you can probably ask someone at the hardware store or Home Depot/Lowes. Use very little though. You don't want to saturate. This is something that is not intuitive for most people - more is not more in carpet cleaning - less is always best!

Just get some solvent on the end of a thin rag or cloth. Put the cloth between your nails, hopefully you have some:) and pick at it almost like you would a splinter with your nails - pulling off as much tar with each pass as you can with each pass. Try not to rub it in - your goal is to pull it out. (hopefully that makes sense).

If you can't get it all out with the nail technique - try a Qtip with a little more solvent. Again keep it in the smallest possible area you can. Once you're done or if you do spread it out, take a little dishwashing liquid in water (very little please)...something like dawn that cuts oil/grease. You have to rinse out whatever solvent you have put on there - so don't skip this step. Again - don't saturate - blot the spot with the damp cloth and follow with a dry one - pull the moisture out as much as possible. Finally do the same thing with plain water - leaving any kind of solvent or soap in your carpet will attract soil.

If I've overwhelmed you, I think you might want to consider having a pro do it. Ask if they do spot cleaning and tell them exactly what you have.

Good luck with it!
    CG

• susan3733
    15 years ago

Hi carpetgirl,

Thanks so much for the valuable info! Based on this thread, I'm determined to get Sorona Smartstrand for all four bedrooms in our house, which is currently being renovated (rest of the rooms have hardwood). I went into a Mohawk store yesterday to see the Smartstrand options, and was a little disappointed with the lack of variety in styles, but was glad to hear the salesperson tell me that Mohawk is coming out with some new styles in the next few weeks. Hopefully, this is accurate. Are you aware of any plans for new styles? He mentioned that Karastan has a few more styles (as you've said) but that it's way more expensive. Also, his store does not carry Karastan so I have no way to prove this, but I imagine it's true.

Thanks again for all the help you've provided!

Susan

• sal1335
    15 years ago

Hi All..

After 21 years it's passed the time to install new carpets. The carpet is for two of our bedrooms, hallway, stairs and the living room, dining room. The Mrs. and I have visited a few carpet stores and looked at what seems like and endless variety of samples. It's worse that choosing a cereal. Since some areas are high traffic, we selected a Mohawk (nylon) plush around $25.00 a sq. yard installed. However, friends have suggested we look at Smartstrand. I have read what I could find on the subject but since it is a fairly new product it doesn't have a long track record. The dealer/installer told us to add 8 - 10 dollars more per yard for it. My question is, is it worth the extra charge? Is it that much better than the average nylon?
    There's just too many choices and my head is gonna explode if I have to make another trip the carpet store.
    Like my ancestors 30,000 years ago, I'd be happy in a warm cave painting animals on the walls! I blame it all on the Mrs.!!!! Thanks for the assist.

• carpetgirl
    15 years ago

Susan - are you sure you were looking at SmartStrand with DuPont Sorona and not the more general SmartStrand? There are nearly 40 styles to choose from including patterns, friezes, shags, cables and of course textures. I am wondering if maybe you went to a store that didn't have the full monty, so to speak. If you didn't see two displays that were nearly full, you did not see everything.

Sal - We wives get blamed for everything! Feel happy that you are invited to particpate - my hubby isn't:) Of course it is worth it...no seriously...Apples to apples you won't pay 8-10 dollars more per square yard when compared to a nylon carpet. I am not sure where on earth your sales person was coming from, but maybe he simply didn't want to sell you the good stuff. Remember too that there are two SmartStrands - one that features DuPont polymer with a eco story and one that does not. I don't know your budget...The DuPont product is a bit more expensive and also features higher end products. I suggest that you ask for SmartStrand products - not sorona - and compare prices for similar nylon constructions and brands. Don't take a 35 ounce unbranded nylon up against a 55 oz Sorona for example. Or for that matter a 35 ounce stainmaster up against a 35 ounce unbrnaded nylon. Apples and apples comparison. Most dealers carry Aladdin or you could visit a Floorscapes or ColorCenter account and simply ask for SmartStrand. To find one in your area, visit mohawkflooring.com and use the dealer locator. Those accounts pop to the top of the list. I honestly do think it is worth the money regardless for the protection and perfomance. Hopefully it is only one more trip and your head will stay intact.

CG

• sal1335
    15 years ago

carpetgirl

Carpetgirl?? Sounds like the latest super hero! "I honestly do think it is worth the money regardless for the protection and perfomance". Sound like this is the way to go. Alas my wife insists we have no budget, however, I do have a pain threshold. Could you tell me what a decent price per sq. yard is for smartstrand? I'll give it one more day at the stores, then it's off to find a nice warm cave! by myself Thanks, Sal

• carpetgirl
    15 years ago

Oh Sal...I love your wife and you sound like my husband! And no superhero status, though that'd be kinda cool.

Your prices will vary by style and ounce weight...and what the dealer bundles together (eg cushion, installation). I can only looka t carpet only pricing - so make sure you know what you are getting when comparing. On the unbranded Aladdin side, expect those products to start around $13 per sq yard. DuPont Sorona products should start around $18. Both categories have higher end items.

If you do get into a Floorscapes or Colorcenter dealer - take advantage of the colors of spring sale. It's going on thru May 2nd.

Remember too that carpet is still quite a value - take that intro Sorona item for example $18 a sq yard is same as $2 a sq foot. Decent hard surfaces will start around $5 a sq foot.

One last store - you can do it Sal!

CG

• louanng
    15 years ago

Are the Smartstrand products susceptible to "water marking", "pooling" or "fiber reversal" as the polyester plushes seem to be.

• grannyeight
    15 years ago

I didn't copy my 1st question about smartstrand carpet, so I may be repeating. I have just read that the P.E.T. Polyester pile tends to mat down and crush. When I see P.E.T. is that referring to the new polyester made from the plastic bottles. And do you think that it is likely to mat down? Thanks, Grannyeight

• mimade
    15 years ago

My wife and I are trying to decide between the Mohawk Smartstrand "Perfect Composition" and the Smartstrand Sorona in Tobacco. They look like the same carpet but the "PC" dealer said the line is exclusive to their store. Is this true? The other dealer says that Mohawk just changes names of the lines depending on the store. I feel like I'm being scammed, I'm just not sure by whom.

• carpetgirl
    15 years ago

Louann - watermarking is an oddball phenomenon that honestly no one knows how or why it happens. It is suspected that moisture plays a role. It happens with every type of fiber, but the matting of PET polyester is more prevalent than with other fibers if the carpet is not well constructed. Good twist and good density can eliminate much of that.

Granny - again it depends on construction. If you are looking at a nice tight carpet you'll be ok. Still recommend Sorona though.

Mimade - The SmartStrand and SmartStrand Sorona styles are different. We don't change from branded to unbranded depending on the store, but you will find Sorona or SmartStrand styles under different names at different stores depending on the brand they sell under.

• usscholar
    15 years ago

I read all the postings on this page the other day--thank you all (esp. Carpetgirl) for your insight. But we went to a CarpetOne store today, and now I'm thoroughly confused.

CarpetOne sells Lees carpeting with the same Dupont Sorona SmartStrand fiber. I read one article that said Lees is now just a name owned by CarpetOne, and another that claims Lees is owned by Mohawk.

In any case, I can't find ANY information about the relative quality of this carpet compared to Mohawk. And there's no sign of the actual name of the carpet ("Yours Affectionately") ANYWHERE on the web. The price seems comparable to the Mohawk, but I think we liked the Lees colors better.

So...
    Who owns Lees, Mohawk or Carpet One? (Not that that matters, but...)
    Is it comparable to Mohawk?
    Has anyone heard of the "Yours Affectionately" line?

• belgianmom
    15 years ago

It's too much to hope for that carpetgal is here, but I'm sure others can help me. After reading all the posts I definitely want Smartstrand. Our children are long grown and gone but we have 6 Belgian Shepherds. Their nails are not a problem as they are kept very short and smooth, but I still plan to stay away from loop. I need something very easy to clean that will withstand the traffic of their 24 feet! :-) Am trying to decide between Magic Isle, Sacred Star and Eagle Pass. Although I vacuum every day, I don't want a high pile. Any ideas or suggestions?? Thank you.

• zach_attack
    15 years ago

Hi Carpet Girl,
    I have a couple of questions. Are all Sorona Superstrand's created equal? The reason I ask is because the multi-color shags that I like don't seem to be very dense and that concerns me, but everywhere I go they keep telling me that the padding makes the carpet. Both are part of the Horizon line. Also, I've asked 2 stores for the weight, twists, etc, and both said they have to contact the manufacturer. Shouldn't they know this already? It concerns me as I feel they might give false info. Thanks for your help.

• usscholar
    15 years ago

Certainly not all of the Superstrand carpets are equal. There ARE different weights, different backings, etc. Atlantic Shores and Simonton Beach, for example, are identical, except for the fact that one is 50 oz. and the other is 65 oz. So, there are still lots of questions to ask, and I'm surprised that the carpet stores don't want to give you any answers. I'm also very surprised that they're saying the padding makes the carpet, because I've heard only the opposite, that there's no point in upgrading padding, for example, because it's not going to make the carpet any better. Look around online if your carpet stores don't want to give you answers. That's how I found out a lot about the various Mohawk carpet lines. But DO find a carpet store that will treat you like a human being before buying anything.

• zach_attack
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info usscholar.
    I have another question. I went on the Mohawk website and was looking at the Smartstrand Horizon data. I don't understand how the Elite, which is supposed to be the best, has twist, density, etc, that is lower than the Select (on some carpets) which is the bottom of the line. I'm confused how the rating system works. Does the manufacturer's rating of the carpet not mean anything? I'm finding that buying carpet is becoming an overwhelming adventure. Thanks again.

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

So much to cover!

Scholar - Lees for Living is a trademark used by CarpetOne. Mohawk might own the name but we do not use it in residential...we do however, use it in commercial. Carpet One private labels products so you don't know who makes it, but if you see Sorona you know it is Mohawk. The styles should be the same as other Mohawk Sorona products, but you might see slightly different colors. And you are wrong on padding. Good padding will extend the life of your carpeting. It does not make the carpet - but it could break it. A good pad will not overcome poor construction - twist, density and weight are still vital to performance, but if you pay for a well constructed carpet and use a cheap pad, you will not get as much from the product as you could. ALWAYS upgrade pad! Oh and love that you call it SuperStrand too:)

Mom - Any of the styles you mentioned will be fine. Choose based on look and color now. I personally have Magic Isle down and I love it, but it has less texture in it and does show a little bit of vacuum marks and such like saxonies do. If that bothers you, go more textured.

Zach - nothing is equal. Friezes and shags are not dense products but that is compensated for by extra twist, so no worries. Friezes with flecks are some of the best perfoming products we have. Look for 5.5 turns of twist or higher and you're good. Again - get a good pad and I recommend moisture barrier pad for SmartStrands...well really for anything. As for the Easy Choice designation - it takes everything into consideration - fiber type, density, twist, PAR ratings, weight, stain resistance, etc. It is not as simple as you think. For instance when it comes to wearability - you would have to have much higher densities and twists in a PET polyester carpet to equal the performance of a SmartStrand product because of hte fiber itself - so you have to be certain you are comparing apples and apples. Easy Choice was designed to take all that guesswork out for you and make it all easier. I think there was an issue on the website that showed SmartStrand styles as Select instead of Elite...they are all in the Elite category.

Good luck all!
    CG

• belgianmom
    14 years ago

Oh Thank you carpetgirl!! We have now decided on the Sacred Star in Tapestry Gold. We will select a moisture proof pad. Not sure whether 8# or 10# will be better, but I noted in one of your posts you had the 10#, so based on that, we'll choose the 10# unless the 8# is better with the dogs. It's between Shaw Triple Touch, Premium Touch(8#) or Ultimate Touch(10#),or Healthier Choice Green (10#). The HC is more expensive and I'm not sure it is worth the difference.

Any suggestions? TIA!!!!!!!!!!belgianmom

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

Great! I did do the 10 pound - for comfort. It'll be fine for your pups. I am not really familiar with Shaw's pads. If you have a moisture barrier and can save some money - do that. Remember to make sure they "seal" the seams with something moisture proof too. You'll love the carpet!

CG

• confusedrus
    14 years ago

Hi carpetgirl, a few quick questions if you have time.

I am looking at the Mohawk Horizons Sorona "South Padre Island" for our great room, front sitting room and hallway with an 8 lb pad. About 900 sq ft. This will be a heavy traffic area for 3 kids (ages 5 to 10) and a yellow lab dog. My concern is will this carpet crush easily. Will the traffic pattern be very noticable? Would a heavier pad be needed for the hallway leading to the kids bedrooms? I love the softness and it seems denser than most of the other Sorona carpets.

Looking for feedback as I am ready to sign the contract. TIA.

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

TIA -

Wow you have a busy home!

South Padre has been a best seller for us since the line came out in 2004/05. You should have no issues with floor performance from that style. Now that doesn't mean you won't eventually see a pattern, but the normal wear ratings for the style are very, very good. Hallways are always heavy traffic, but the 8lb is fine for that area.

Do consider changing the family room traffic pattern occasionally - say every year or so - to reduce chance that you will see that traffic pattern. You do this by rearranging the furniture to affect the flow in, within and out of the room. It is sort of the equivalent of turning your rugs once a year.

Enjoy it!

CG

• belgianmom
    14 years ago

carpet girl,

Just a follow up and thank you for all your help! I ordered samples of the SmartStrand Sacred Star and the Magic Isle and submitted them to every test I could think of: mud, ketchup, mustard, coffee. Both passed with flying colors and cleaned up perfectly. BUT, the Sacred Star took a long, long time to dry and continued to smell, particularly of mustard.(Still smells 24 hrs later even after using Nature's Miracle enzyme odor killer) The Magic Isle dried super fast and smelled perfectly normal and clean. Of course the Star has longer pile and this is probably the reason, but with a house full of dogs, I have decided to copy you and install Magic Isle over the 10# pad. (Moisture proof for me.) Since I vacuum every day anyway, I am not worried if dirt/hair sits on top of the carpet and shows more than with the longer pile Star.

Thanks again, and I hope I am making the right choice!!!!!

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

I have a question for you, Carpetgirl. The guy who came to measure our house said that sometimes it is a carpet with shorter pile that may be denser but it won't feel as plush cause the fibers aren't as long. And that the longer pile will show the wear more in traffic areas than the shorter. The two SmartStrands we are considering are so very similiar, I just don't know which to go with. It will be in bedrooms and some shade of beige. Probably either Mellow Taupe or Creme Brulee. Can you tell me if Latest Craze is just a shorter pile of the same carpet as New Sensation?

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

Belgian - First, I LOVE that you tested it for yourself. I need you on a commercial! As far as the "wet" carpet...I suspect that it is simply a function of a somewhat unscientific test. You could have saturated Sacred more than magic without really even knowing it. When cleaning, you should always limit the amount of cleaner to only what you need. More is not More!! Saturation can lead to the backing breaking down - which is BAD! If you assume for a professional cleaning that the majority of the water will be removed via an extractor, Magic might dry a little quicker because it is lighter, but not significantly different. And in all cases, these Sorona fibers have proven to dry faster than other fibers, nylon for example. Either is still a great choice.

Boston -

Lastest craze is not the same as new sensation. New sensation is 10 ounces or so heavier in a simialr construction - with the pile is higher. I am not totally clear on the point the measuring guy was making. We have very dense styles that have high piles - they are simply heavier weights. It is a little simplistic to say that a longer pile will wear more in all instances...if there is more twist - a high pile will wear better than a short one. If you are comparing apples to apples...take a style with the same amount of twist, and same weight and simply vary the pile heights...your densities will change and the one with a higher density will be the lower pile. You should see a better wear pattern in the higher density. Frankly the chances of you finding that are slim. Don't over think this one. The styles you are looking at are great floor perfomance wise. I don't suspect you will see abnormal wear in either. Hope this helps.

CG

• belgianmom
    14 years ago

Thank you for your educated response carpetgirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We really prefer the Sacred Star over the Magic Isle as dog hair should not be as visible in between the daily vacuuming with the variegated color and more pile. Thanks to your explanation of why it may have stayed damp longer, we are going to go ahead and order the S.S. My husband says I have driven him crazy with all my fact finding and testing and thinks I should get a job in a carpet store. LOL It HAS been fun!!!!!!!!!!

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

Kind of wish you would!;)

• wvbill
    14 years ago

Trying to get up to speed on Berbers and have a few questions since we are thinking of putting Berber in the master bedroom. When we built our house 11 years ago we put nylon Berber in the basement. It has held up well but the cleaning ladies managed to "burn" the carpet while running the sweeper. Do the newer synthetics have the same problem?

Second, can't find much info on 100% wool. Any comments on it versus the 100% nylon or the newer synthetics? Finally, if price is not an issue, what would be the best carpet to install?

Thanks for your comments

• debalu
    14 years ago

We are wanting to buy Sorona smartstrand Villa Way, a short pile carpet. Can't get a straight answer from 3 dealers on the ounces, twist, etc. Are you familiar with it? Will it crush over time like a polyester? They are very negative on using a waterproof pad-say it will spread spills through the rest of the carpet & will trap moisture against the slab causing mildew. What about "smells" in the carpet over time from the recycled products & corn? What do you think, carpetgirl?
    thanks,
    debalu

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

I hope Carpetgirl comes to answer your question. I looked at Villa Way. I was told it was a 59 oz carpet. I am ending up getting Horizon New Sensation. It appears to be very similiar. I am ordering the moisture proof padding due to having dogs. I certainly hope that it won't cause mildew between the pad and floor, that is one reason I am getting it. My understanding is that the moisture should stay on top of the pad and that it should dry quickly.

Lets hope Carpetgirl comes back soon.

• landlord_1500
    14 years ago

Carpet Girl...Thank you for the response on our apartment carpet application. We did get some samples of the "Properties" line and also some "Aladdin" samples. Some of them have longer warranty periods and I'm not sure what the difference is between them. Could you tell me if the Properties line is better for my application or is the Aladdin the same. I have been looking at Aladdin Welcome Addition and the Front Runner and also the Properties City Life. The Front Runner seems to be the nicest and have the best warranty. We also need a commercial grade hall carpet for the main entry. Does the SmartStrand come in that style?

Thank you for your help. We are in Michigan and getting ready to renovate 48 units and looking forward to installing SmartStrand. Hopefully we will be replacing all of our units if it works out.

• jbranch
    14 years ago

Debalu - Carpet does not really smell. Just about all carpets pass an indoor air quality standard set by the Carpet and Rug Institute. There are no recycled components in Smartstrand. The green story in Sorona Smartstrand comes from the bio component which is corn. This corn is converted into the Sorona chemical used to manufacture the carpet yarn. Dupont Sorona Smartstrand and traditional polyester fiber are extremely different. I believe Smartstrand to be the highest performing fiber that exists today - especially in the category of stain resistance and durability. See the attached article and the links.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smartstrand - the best of the best

• debalu
    14 years ago

Carpetgirl, what do you think about the salesmen's reluctance to selling waterproof pad-said it would further spread a spill & can trap slab moisture leading to mildew?

Is Villa Way the densest of the sorona smartstrand carpets with short pile? I'm trying to avoid any 'frieze' movement in the fibers.

thanks, carpetgirl-you're amazing!

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

UGH - sorry everyone. Seems I have left you for too long!

wvbill - all synthetics have a point at which they will burn. Nylon is the highest - olefin the lowest. Your cleaning people had to work pretty hard to burn a nylon. I am wondering if you might have a nylon/olefin blend instead of all nylon. Wool is a wonderful product - durable, renewable, and cleans up very well. The only draw back that some have with it is that it will shed a little bit when fibers break, but that certainly would not keep me from buying it if price were not an issue. Go to karastan.com to learn about wool.

Landlord - YAY! Glad you got some samples. Apartment warranties do tend to be lower. Traffic, maintenance and frankly overall care of the carpeting makes them very hard to guarantee. For your use - assume that the Properties warranties will apply, but do check with your rep. We do not currently have any SmartStrand in commercial grades but we are working on that.

Debalu - The whole point of a moisture proof pad is to prevent moisture/spills from getting through your pad to the subfloor. Boston is right. As I said somewhere in this string - SmartStrand is going to release the liquid. Having a barrier will give you time to get the entire stain/liquid out with an extractor. If you have no moisture issues with your slab to begin with, it will not cause you any issues. If you have moisture issues - it doesn't matter if you have a barrier or not, you are going to have problems. As with any flooring installation, you should take the time to check for moisture issues on slabs if you aren't sure. Take a piece of plastic and duct tape it down on the floor overnight. If there is condensation on the pastic, you have a moisture issue. I have moisture proof pad in my basement on a slab and all is well. New foundations should sure before doing this test. Talk to your flooring installer about that.

As for smells - JBranch nailed it.The only smells you will have from the carpeting over time are the stains or odors you didn't get out. Recycled and renewable content are simply the plastics used - no more or less prone to odors. The Corn component is simply for the sugar. Most issues are related to the backings or the pad holding onto pet stains or the like. The pad we just covered will help as will regular, deep steam cleanings. Every 12-18 months is a good rule of thumb.

Villa Way is a 60 oz tight texture - great choice. No worries on that at all and yes as dense as we go in that yarn system.

Whew - I'm exhausted...keep the questions coming and I will try to do better:)

CG

• tired_of_carpet
    14 years ago

I am having a time trying to get the Smartstrand carpet! The first style I chose, I was told they quit making 2 yrs ago. The second style I ordered and put a deposit on, Smartstrand,Horizon,WindWalker, I am told is not even being manufactured yet. Am I getting the run around? Also, I've tried to get into the carpet gallery for Mohawk and for some reason, I can't! What am I doing wrong? My house has been torn completely apart for this and I'm getting a little crazy! Help me please!

• monteroman
    14 years ago

carpetgirl you have been a very valuable resource in this thread.

I am having a hard time finding a Smartstrand carpet that is tight. I want to avoid my chilrens small legos disappearing in the fibers. Most of the Smartstrand samples were very loose strands that would allow tiny legos to disappear in them. I really would like it tight toghether so things stay on top and in a beige. Is there such model for Smartstrand fibers?

Thanks for your help.

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

ToC - (Can't bring myself to say tired of carpet)The dropped style should have never been shownt o you - that concerns me. On the other...To be frank manufacturing is behind due to popularity and thankfully a slight ,unexpected upswing in purchases. We've been trying very hard to manage inventories in this crazy economy, and in some cases due to the severe downturn we have closed plants and we're just behind. You are not getting a runaround, I assure you. Windwalker is being made - that's another odd comment to be made. The manufacturing date was probably just further out than you needed. SmartStrand production has priority over other goods and we are doing our best to catch up. Please don't give up on us yet.

Monteroman - Thanks- you're sweet! There are a lot of lose friezes out there but we do have some that will not create the Land of the Lost Legos...try these Horizon styles - Dramatic Approach, Latest Craze or New Sensation. These are a 40, 50 and 60 ounce offering of good, tight textures. We also have some patterned goods that nothing can slip through.

CG

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

Monteroman - Check out Richmond. It is a Smartstrand but not the Dupont Sorona. It was on sale when I first started looking and would have been my choice if I had looked around beforehand. I missed the sale and then found the New Sensation that I ended up ordering. It won't be installed till later in June but I am happy with its denseness. I think the legos would sit on top of it.

• mrmel
    14 years ago

I guess this question is for carpetgirl;
    Does Mohawk have any smartstrand tight frieze in 15 foot
    widths? My living room is 14'x18' and I don't want it taped. Prefer a tight weave.
    thanks, learned much from your postings.

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

MrMel -

Actually we don't have any SmartStrand in 15ft at all. It's mostly a sales and inventory issue. To make 15 ft, it has to be manufactured at a different plant than the 12 ft and kept as a separate inventory SKU. The sales of 15 ft is not enough to justify the second sku.

If you are concerned about seeing the seam, seams should not be visible in any cut pile. If they are, your installer is not up to snuff.

CG

• mrmel
    14 years ago

Thanks carpetgirl,
    The seams weren't visible on my old carpet when installed,
    but after 15 years and children, the tape broke in a heavy wear area. My wife says we should have replaced it years ago, probably so.
    Could you recommend another Mohawk high end carpet in 15 foot width that is not smartstrand? (the kids and pets are out of the house, for now) so staining should not be a problem.
    thanks again for info, mrmel

• tired_of_carpet
    14 years ago

Thanks carpet girl.
    Last week was a horrible week. We have been told by the middle of June WindWalker should be delivered. Will keep our fingers crossed! We did get the Etchware(?) installed in my sons room and very happy with the way it looks. Question.....it was at the end of the roll and there is a faint line. Will this come out after time?
    I called Mohawk last week on the WindWalker. That was a complete waste of time. You've at least given me an explaination on delay of delivery. The gentleman I spoke with was, well, like talking to a wall. No help.
    Thanks you again!

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

ToC -

I'm sorry, sincerely. I know how it is when you want to be done with renos! Good news is ti is now June 1st - so not too much longer.

As for your faint line - sounds like it was simply a little crushed at the end of the roll. It should come out over time - if you want to move it along and have a steamer (like you use on clothes), that should help. Steam helps everything when it comes to carpet. Don't try using an iron that lets off steam please - I've seen disasters happen with that route.

CG

• carpetgirl
    14 years ago

MrMel,

Not sure what is up with the system but this is literally my 6th attempt at responding...UGH.

A lot of our 15ft goods are olefin berbers and not what you want. Try Home land Select in Aladding. It's a 60 oz nylon BCF with Scotchgard.

CG

• parkgt
    14 years ago

Bargain hunters may want to check out Home Depot right now. I know many don't think their installers are as good as some independents.

They have a 60 oz special purchase called Silk in many different colors priced at $2.28 per sq. ft. A local independent had the same carpet under a different name listed at over $4.00 per sq. ft.

I decided to give them a try and ordered 84 running feet for a five room install. Even after trying to swing the business to the little guy he couldn't get within $500 of Home Depot.

I often am frustrated with HD but decided to try them on this purchase. I will report back in three weeks or so on how they did and what I think of the carpet.

• floorshopper
    14 years ago

Carpetgirl,
    We have bought a 10 yr old house and are changing all of the flooring before we move in. Our first major challenge is selecting carpet and this thread has been sooo helpful in understanding the options! We are definitely going with SmartStrand and we want the saxony plush. We expect to be a "shoes off" house with no pets but several young grandchildren. Kind of wanting the more formal look of the pile cut but don't want to end up with a fuzzy mess in 5 years, so we are willing to spend a little more on the best quality Smart Strand.
    We have found the following examples of this style in SmartStrand and are looking for the most dense, highest twist. Each dealer provides different information and it has been really difficult to compare.

We have narrowed it down to:

Horizon New Sensations and Alexander Smith Kingsley Palace.
    They have the EXACT colors with different names but the Kingsley Palace carpet appears to have a longer fiber. I don't have the face weight or twist ## to compare.

Can you tell me which product is considered to be higher quality..Horizon or Alexander Smith? Not much information about Alexander Smith out there, though lots of great history lessons about the company.

(We also looked at Karastan's Enviable and to our untrained eyes and fingers, it did not seem as dense and cushy as these others.)
    We sure would appreciate any information you have on this..we have reached a brick wall in our research and we need to make a selection this week and move on to paint colors! Arghhhh.

Thanks!

• jtrob2_comcast_net
    14 years ago

Carpetgirl,
    I've read this whole thread and you are definetly a carpet savant! Heres my question...going to replace allot of carpet in my home, we have teenage boys and 2 dogs, am considering Smartstrand and while at HD the sales guy also showed me Permasoft Plus by Beaulieu, told me it was sort of a nylon version of the Sorona fiber and has a deodorizer treatment on the fiber as well.
    How would you compare these 2 carpets? I'm overall most concerned with stain removal, matting and overall durability
    what do you think?
    thanks

• spike5gc_cox_net
    13 years ago

Explain: Please define PET, PTT, PL, BCF, BF. Thanks!
    Smartstrand is made from pop bottles and sugar in corn,some of the ingrdients anyway, right?

Thanks!

• jjhuff
    9 years ago

I have had smartstrand since 2009 in my livingroom and front room and it is delaminating waiting to see if anything can be done or if mohawk will stand behind it its called vibrant beauty and it a freeze it also seems to mat down in high traffic areas.Im looking at the horizon smart strand that is a tall cut in the elite series that is a high carpet was wondering if anyone has used this and i hope to have better luck with this if i buy still debating i want to use on steps hall and in walkin closet, office, and 2 bedrooms thanks.

• nickelkatt
    8 years ago

jjhuff.. would you recommend this product or not? It is freaking me out to buy...looking at karastan Essential Living...or maybe Mohawk gentle essence. I don't know which is better or if I should go with a nylon...

• marvelousmarvin
    8 years ago

I've love to hear more about how well smartstrand has held up a few years after installation.

Its too bad landlord_1500 won't see it because I think he could have provided a large enough sample size to know how well smartstrand worked.