Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dents in wood laminate flooring?

Posted by kinikia (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 15:50

We recently purchased a home that had Mohawk hardwood laminate flooring installed in many rooms, including the kitchen. When we moved in, we noticed many dents in the floor, and joked that she must have thrown pots and pans at him. Then I dropped a small perfume bottle on the bedroom floor and saw an immediate dent. The floor seems fragile, and I have noticed that some of the dents in the kitchen have penetrated beyond the laminate surface. Has anyone else had this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dents in wood laminate flooring?

If your Mohawk branded floor is hardwood and not plastic laminate (think formica)...then I am not at all surprised you are denting the floor. Engineered hardwood flooring is very prone to dent easily.

o

Thanks for the reply, glennsfc. I'm gong to look into any warranty, but I don't expect that to be at all fruitful, since we didn't install the floor. It's only a few years old.

o

The inner layers of the laminate floors are almost always less expensive easier to work softer woods.

Even if you put oak other hard veneer as the 'show' surface, the crappy woad behind it still dents.

Keep in mind that woods physical hardness is NOT directly related to its status as a 'hardwood' or 'softwood.'

Balsa wood & poplar are hardwoods.

Douglass fir is a softwood.

Deciduous trees vs. conifers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here