Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prep for tiling

Posted by brusso (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 15:40

My sunroom has 6 x 6 tiles which I want to replace. I pulled up a couple and dicovered that they have been installed on top of plywood 1/2 inch. There is a basement beneath the sunroom.I want to install larger tiles 18x 18. My question is how to prep the floor. The tiles seem to come up fairly easy but the glue is stuck to the floor in some cases. Do I need to scrape off all the glue? Can I tile on the plywood or should I install backerboard?? How thick backer? 1/4 or 1/2?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prep for tiling

1/2" plywood even with a backer board is not enough subfloor for tile. I would install 3/4" t&g and then 1/4" hardi board.

o
RE: Prep for tiling

What size are your joists and how far do they span? How close together are they? Large format tile cannot stand any floor flex or it cracks. That's probably why the PO used the 6x6 tile. It's a lot more forgiving of floor deflection. A "sunroom" implies a structure that is already "lightly built" rather than built to normal homebuilding codes. You may need to reinforce your joists as well as installing the additional subfloor and cement board. Find out your numbers on your floor support and figure out the deflection before you go any further or you may just be giving yourself a headache of ripping out a failing floor in the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here