Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dominos123

Never purchased carpeting before...

domino123
10 years ago

This is for our cottage which has no basement (so we'd need something moisture resistant, I'd assume), high traffic including pets and children, so we'd like something with stain resistance, and easy to clean, low annual maintenance (I have a bissell floor cleaner).

Also important to me is carpeting that is low VOC - I read online that I should look for more organic materials. My dogs sleep under our (high) bed on the carpeting, another reason why this is important to me.

I read the padding is just as important as the carpeting itself.

We don't want to pay a high price tag, but also want quality and all the aforementioned.

This is a four season cottage in WI (was used previously as a year round home, and is well insulated), we keep the heat on in the winter (40-45 degrees) when not here.

I've done some basic research online, so I'm looking for feedback from others in terms of what I should ask about, what else not mentioned here I should take into consideration.

Also, do I need to go with a dark color to hide stains, or are there carpets designed to disguise imperfections? I'm not sure how I feel about Berber, though I won't rule it out. I do like the feel of plush carpeting as well, or something that feels "luxurious" to a certain degree.

Our "home" has hardwood floors, so I'm starting from scratch hoping to get advice here.