Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardwood flooring questions

Posted by localeater (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 15:01

I live in an open floor plan home with mostly 3/4" thick 5" wide select ash wood floors. We are in the process of renovating our kitchen and have removed all the tile and backer board and will be extending the wood floor into this area.
The existing wood floor is in pretty good shape but would definitely benefit from a screening(I think that is right term).
I have never installed hardwood floors before, I've done lots of other stuff including some tile work, is this something I can do? It looks fairly straight forward?
Finally and this is probably a dumb question, but I am assuming that since I need to refinish the existing floor, I should buy unfinished ash, install it and then have it all refinished at once. Is this the best approach?
If I purchased prefinished ash flooring for the kitchen, would it be possible to refinish the remainder to match next year(which would be lovely for cash flow)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardwood flooring questions

It will take more than a screening to finish new wood.

o

You will have to find one heck of a great wood floor finisher to get your existing floor to match any prefinished floor in color, gloss level and general appearance. Sure, it can be done...but most who can do it charge a fortune for the custom work necessary.

o

I would get the same 5" unfinished Ash, install and then finish with the existing floorings all together.

o

It will take alot of time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here