Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tapasnut_gw

Replace or keep partial hardwood?

tapasnut
11 years ago

We just bought a new (to us) home and want to redo the first floor in wood or bamboo. Currently, it's a mix of tile (foyer), carpet (living, dining and family room) and glued down oak wood floors (half bath, kitchen and breakfast area). We want to make the open floor plan more cohesive with one kind of flooring throughout, but we're also on a budget (~$12k for the 1200 sq. ft area). We also have a medium-large dog, so our floors will get some wear.

If we were starting from scratch, we'd like to do Teragren bamboo in chestnut everywhere. But, that means removing the glued down kitchen floor which I hear can be pricey. I'm guessing it'll look off if we just refinish and stain darker the oak in the kitchen and add bamboo elsewhere, right?

Oak isn't our favorite (and we do have some concerns about scratches in the finish if we want to go with a darker stain) but we'd also consider keeping the oak that's already glued down in the kitchen and doing solid oak throughout (perhaps in a similar prefinished chestnut color and then refinishing the kitchen floor to match).

What would you do? Keep the existing oak or pull it up and start from scratch? Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022