Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtejoy

Schluter Ditra problem?

mtejoy
9 years ago

Hi, newbie here. Appreciate the help in advance.

Have a question.

We have a room about 200+ sqft that's going to be tiled, and we bought the Schluter Ditra product thinking of using it as the membrane because the room/house has concrete uneven problem that needs to be patched(using rubber cement), leveled/flattened, then underlayment, then 12x12 tiles.

But the contractor I'm thinking about hiring said he has used it in many applications in the past and had lots of warranty issues. He said it is notorious for de laminating, even used it per the manufactures specs (non modified thinset and trowel the surface to adhere the thinset to the mat.)

So he's recommending the paint on type membrane, said it will produce a much better end result.

I've searched a bit on the net and there are a lot of discussion of wrong thinset cause installation problem, but with right thinset, will there still a lot potential installation problems? In essence, does what the contractor said made sense?

Thanks,
May

Comments (5)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

NEXT! Any contractor that has "lots" of warranty issues with anything is someone you don't want to use. Especially if he's talking about using rubber cement to level a floor!

• mtejoy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rubber cement (or rubber something, I can't remember, so I thought it's rubber cement) is used to patch the existing concrete cracks, then will use leveling compound to level/flatten the floor. Then thinset, the membrane, then thinset and the tile.

But my question remains, even if I don't use this contractor, I need to know if the Schluter Ditra is good for my situation and what's the potential installation problems I need to look out for when selecting contractors.

Thanks, May

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Schluter has been around for MANY years and Ditra is an excellent uncoupling membrane. It only adds minimal height to your floor and is not difficult to install. Versabond from HD is adequate for setting it with a 1/4"x1/4" trowel,

I recently did a whole house, using Ditra with Laticrete's 317 white morter over plywood....and the bond was tenacious!

You can set the tile with the same 317, and, about nine bucks a bag, you are good to go.

• mtejoy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, StoneTech.

Does apply on the plywood has different thinset than concrete? And I searched for Laticrete's 317, they have gray and white motar, besides aesthetic, any difference for application? I'm guessing I don't need LATICRETE 333 or LATICRETE 3701 because I'm doing interior rooms, is that correct?

Thanks,
    May

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Either will work, but the white appears to have a bit finer consistency at about a buck a bag more. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on plywood or concrete...although, technically, a modified morter should have a somewhat stronger bond.

The point I was making is that, properly mixed and installed, Ditra is an excellent uncoupling product. I have no idea why he would have issues with it. If he is, he isn't installing it properly.