Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing Hardwood Flooring Vs. New Engineered Wood Flooring

Posted by Chucas11 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 14:08

Hi everyone,

As I begin to embark on ripping out all the old carpet on the 1890 colonial I just purchased, I just had a quick question.

In regards to the cost, value to the home, and what people want to see, would I be better off refinishing the old hardwood flooring underneath the carpet (if possible) or just installing new engineered wood flooring? Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks in advance!

-Luca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing Hardwood Flooring Vs. New Engineered Wood Floorin

Even without knowing the kind of wood or condition, I can't imagine replacing wood flooring in an 1890 home. In my opinion, the value is in the original material. If the floor is in good condition, it may not need sanding at all; a screening and recoat might be all that's necessary and the patina would be retained. There are many threads on this topic, try searching the Old House forum. I live in a converted schoolhouse built in 1890. The fir floors had been covered with layers of linoleum, glue, paint ... they were a mess.. but looked awesome after refinishing. That was years ago and I'm planning to have them screened soon (aka buff and recoat.) What kind of wood is it? Do you have photos?

o
RE: Refinishing Hardwood Flooring Vs. New Engineered Wood Floorin

Beaniebakes, Please tell me what you mean by screening and a "recoat", a recoat of what? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here