Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
live wire oak around? or anyone else who can help

Posted by aimee124 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 13:51

Hi, I purchased a hair salon a couple yrs ago., it has about 1200sq feet of stained concrete, and the rest is wood..The floor is very faded and never has no shine. I contacted the guy i purchased it from and he said all he knew was that is was fresh concrete, and the color was cola..and he wasn't sure what process was done, but he is going to contact the guy who did it and let me know. My question is, Can i restain it the same color and put the seal, and shine? I really don't know anything about this, but would like to learn to possibly do it ourselves to save money..thanks in advance for anyone that can help
aimee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: live wire oak around? or anyone else who can help

What does the floor look like when it's wet? Does the color of it then look rich like you'd like? It's possible, if the previous products used don't conflict, that all your floor needs is a good waxing to bring out the color and shine. But, without knowing the products used, it's possible that putting wax down could screw up any opportunity to repair it correctly without sanding down to bare concrete. The absolute cheapest potential solution would be to engage a pro to come in and wax it and buff it. That is how home stained concrete is usually finished. However, that isn't a very durable surface treatment in a setting where you may have chemicals.

If you can't figure out what products were used, there is too big of a chance of screwing it up permanently. If it were me, I'd look at sanding the whole thing down to bare concrete and starting over with all new products that you know work together and finishing it off with an industrial clear epoxy. That's not a DIY job. Or, for a DIY treatment, putting something like a VCT over what you have currently, or maybe sheet vinyl. You could choose various colors of VCT and create an interesting pattern or just go with a single color. That can be maintained by a pro with a buffing machine and acrylic clear coat on top. Standard industry products and machines. The vinyl would be the least durable option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here