Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uberdeep

gaps in coating on newly finished floors

uberdeep
11 years ago

HI, I just had my floors refinished in my new apartment.

I saw the floor while they were finishing it and it was still wet but it looked good so I paid the contractor then.

Then while moving in about 3 days later, I noticed there were a lot of places where there are gaps in the coating, see the attached image.

I'm not sure what to tell the contractor now. There are gaps like this on around 25% of the floor? It's hard to tell since I already had all my stuff moved in. Is this the kind of thing that can be fixed in small areas or am I going to have to move all my stuff out if they're going to fix it?

And can anyone give me information about what it looks like happened here? Just so I can be a little bit more knowledgable when talking to the contractor about it? Thanks.

Comments (3)

• gregmills_gw
    11 years ago

This appears to be improper adhesion of the coat.
    This looks like a case of the floor guys not taking proper steps to ensure proper adhesion of the urethane.

Looks like they used a water bourne product?

Did they sand and stain the floors?
    Or did thry just come in and do a buff n coat?

Did you clean the floors at anytime before this last coat was applied?

If they sanded and stained the floors without you touching the floors its their fault.

If they did just a buff n coat its still their fault for not properly prepping the floor correctly.

If this bubbling is just isolated to one or two spots they can be addressed individually.

However if its everywhere. The entire floor needs to be addressed.

Note for future reference NEVER PAY until you have thoroughly inspected the final product.

Also a tip. If your floor guy refuses to do anything
    Go to www.nwfa.org and find a certified floor inspector to look at the floor. That will be your lifeline if you need to take your flooring contractor to court.

• glennsfc
    11 years ago

Wow! What a disaster! Yes, we need more particulars, but regardless the result is certainly unacceptable.

You have some kind of peel. You have dirt in the finish...just a real mess.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

I read your post earlier, but didn't have anything to add, other than just to say it sure looked like a mess...sorry.

I just read a post over at Home Decorating with pics of newly refinished 60 year old hardwood floors part of which had been badly stained. Hers turned out beautiful. See link below.

Hopefully you will be able to get someone to get yours looking as nice as hers.

I saw the floor while they were finishing it and it was still wet but it looked good so I paid the contractor then.
    Did they only apply one coat? It sounds like someone needs to keep an eye on them that knows how to do it right.
    Perhaps someone here can tell you what steps they 'should have taken' in order for it to be done right.

I was reading some on line and it sounds like 3 (or more) coats might be needed with some sanding between the coats.

How-to Polyurethane a Floor

I agree with Glenn above. It looks like there is dirt in the finish, or that maybe they even rolled it on with a fuzzy roller that gave off fuzz or something.

Good luck with getting it looking nice.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: First project complete: refinished floors