Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tyjy_gw

Opinions about Mohawk Smartstrand Enlightened Decor

tyjy
12 years ago

Can anyone tell me if "Mohawk, Enlightened Decor" smartstrand frieze carpet is a good choice?? (the back of the sample said "Sorona"?) I've been reading on the forum and those in the know seem to like Mohawk Smartstrand (am I correct?) but what about this style? Should I seek out the Shaw Nylon frieze also and/or other Mohawk styles? Is there THAT big of a difference?

Background: my daughter saw a carpet person on a tv morning show who offered a "Labor Day" sale. To try to get me (a little egoraphobic) to make a decision, she talked me into having him come over with samples of colors my daughter described. This Mohawk color, Vintage Cream, matched my house pretty good. Do you think it's a good carpet that will last a long time? (I cannot stand shopping).

Thank you SO much! I value your opinions!!

Comments (4)

• Floortech
    12 years ago

Any Sorona product will work well for you. In my region, Mohawk gives extremely poor service IMO but it does not detract from the product. It is a good product from a less than average company is how I see it! Shaw on the other hand is a great company. Mohawk just recently announced a price increase. Beaulieu followed. Shaw came out and stated that yes an increase is needed, but with all the recent flooding, forest fires, tornadoes, and just stepping in to the selling season, they will not have an increase. both other companies retracted theirs. I support Shaw for the difference in how the company is represented. But smartstrand is a good product. No doubt.

• tyjy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much Floortech for your thoughtful response. I really respect the kind of business integrity you just described about Shaw. That makes a difference with me. Without you passing this on I would never have been aware.

I actually did briefly ask the rep if he has Shaw and he said yes but seemed to be really talking up this Mohawk "Enlightened Decor" product so we got off the subject. I was going off of slight memory from what I read here and wasn't well versed about Shaw so didn't delve into it further with him. I probably should have.

So I can continue on this search, please tell me if I am understanding what I've read here on the forum:
    Shaw frieze is "NYLON" vs. Mohawk frieze who has "smartstrand" which is made out of corn and is soft and really stain resistant and durable? (Why is Nylon better? or are they equivalent and my decision should now be about COMPANY integrity)

• Floortech
    12 years ago

Shaw frieze's can be of different fibers other than Nylon. If you purchase a Shaw Frieze..I would recommend either an Anso Nylon or HGTV Brand from Shaw. The dealer may not have HGTV as it is wildly selective to who they allow and invite to sell it. HGTV by Shaw has some beautiful friezes available and Anso also has some gorgeous frieze's. The warranty will be better with Shaw Anso or HGTv than the Smartstrand. You can place triple touch cushion under the Anso product or HGTV and that doubles the warranty to 40 years. To confuse you more, Tuftex of California which is made by Shaw has Anso Friezes that are the latest in style and fashion. Again Tuftex is a discriminating product and not available to all dealers...but very nice. I really like Anso, they are soft, wear extremely well and have the best manufacturer warranties that are offered. Smartstrand and Shaw are both green products. Both very earth friendly. Shaw has a recycling program in place..Mohawk does not. Smarstrand performs well though. Anso will give you more style choice in a frieze. Especially the HGTV and the Tuftex. Anso will have some lower price options for you with the same warranty..but you'll need to find a Shaw aligned dealer more than likely. All of this can be viewed and found at Shaws website. I will link you to it. Good Luck and if you have other questions, please post. Tuftex has its own site..but is a Shaw Product..It is Shaws designer collection (Higher End)

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaw floors

• tyjy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Floortech, I thank you very, very much!