Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofbeauty75_gw

Vinyl flooring over existing ceramic tile? Is this possible?

luvofbeauty75
10 years ago

I've a few questions about vinyl flooring. Thanks for reading my questions!

We are planning to replace the yucky vinyl sheet flooring in our small bathroom with some better looking one. And I'm so tempted to change our yucky front entrance & kitchen tiles too (very light color tiles, stained tiles/ grout, a few peeling tiles?!... obviously some low quality ceramic tiles installed by the previous owner)... However, taking the tiles out and replacing other ceramic tiles seem out of the question (time & budget wise). So I'm thinking if I can lay the same vinyl sheet flooring we will get for our bathroom over the front entrance/ kitchen tiles?

If yes, how can we do it? I saw that there are some Armstrong CleanSweep "no-glue" vinyl sheet flooring from home depot and wonder how it works. Does anyone have any experience with these vinyl sheet floor? How does it hold up? Is it good for bath or high traffic areas (i.e. kitchen and front entrance)? Do you have any other suggestions of better quality vinyl sheet floor?

Again, thanks for reading and hope I will get some answers soon!

Comments (7)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

It won't save you any effort. Without putting down a lot of SLC (takes some skill and no small expense) all of the grout lines will telegraph through the vinyl. If you put it down anyway, not only will you get those grout lines coming through, but that will stress the backing of the flooring, and you can get splitting in traffic zones.

The right way to do the job is to remove the tile, smooth the slab, and then put down the vinyl. There are never any good shortcuts to a well done job. Truly, it's not that difficult to do with an air chisel. It's just dirty.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

First of all, your post is difficult to understand. "Peeling" ceramic?

The short answer is...yes you can do it, if the existing floor is tight, which from your post seems to say it is not: "...low quality ceramic tiles installed by the previous owner."

You could fill the grout depressions with an embossing leveler and then install one of those loose lay sheet vinyls and that would give you a clean and serviceable floor for a time. Won't be perfect, but good enough. But that all depends upon if the existing ceramic is tight, which...from what you say...it is not.

• luvofbeauty75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your answers!

glennsfc,

Sorry I don't know the technical word for that. But with the word "peeling" ceramic, I meant the top coat of the ceramic tile is peeling off in a few spots on the tiles. There're not a lot of those but I just know they're there...

I read on this blog that a lady installed vinyl tile on top of the existing ceramic tiles. I wonder if anyone has that experience? The ceramic tiles I have right now is not in extremely bad condition, just a few "peeling" spots, very light color and stained yucky stained grout. http://www.sasinteriors.net/2012/10/installing-groutable-vinyl-tile-lowes/

So I wonder if there's anyway to work this out... with a baby in the house, I don't really want to make a big mess. Plus I don't have a lot of time to do that... :( .

• luvofbeauty75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

glennsfc,

Thanks for your reply again. Is it hard to fill the grout flush? And what kind of product did you use to do that?

Thanks!

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Lowes and Home Depot and any flooring retailer will sell powdered cementious floor filler to which you only need add water. However, you can increase their adhesion characteristics by adding the recommended additive. Brands to look for are Ardex Feather Finish, Mapei PlaniPatch, Armstrong and Henry.

Simple...mix small batches and apply with a straight trowel or putty knife as per directions. The product will stick to itself, so repeated applications can be done to get a flush with the tile surface and a smooth result.

• Will1972
    10 years ago

All you need is some leveling compound and install right over it. I would NOT us the no glue sheet vinyl though. Save your money. Glue it down or use double sided tape.