Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fullpass

Vinyl Plank flooring question- underlayment

fullpass
15 years ago

Hi all,

Please forgive me if this question comes out sounding a little silly but what is the reason that you can't put the same underlayment you'd use for a pergo floating floor under a vinyl plank floating floor?

From all of my research this seems to be a no-no but I've yet to find a good reason. . . I know that Armstrong has a QuickTac plastic liner underlayment that you can use with one of their plank products (I think its the Mode line) but those aren't self adhering. They are stuck right down to the plastic.

The reason I ask is that I have the lovely old asbestos tiles in my basement and when I remove the carpet that is currently covering them I'd like to do a vinyl plank floating floor. I know that accepted practice is to use a leveling compound to fill the spaces between the old tile squares before putting down the planks but it's a big basement and I see that as a major job. I'm not worried about moisture- just doing my best to prevent the new floor from "showing" the outlines of the tiles below.

I've laid pergo in the past (the old glue together kind from Ikea) and for the life of me I just can't see why using that thin foam as an underlayment to "hide" the contours of the old tile would be such a big deal. . .

Please help me see the light!! Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)