Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removed Asbestos Tiles

Posted by Lopez0801 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 12:39

I removed tiles from my basement that may potentially contain asbestos. I used an edger and scrapped up the tiles from the floor. In some areas, the adhesive was pretty difficult to lift the tile, and the tile crumbled when I was lifting it from the floor. When placing it in the garbage bag, I had to break some of the tiles so that the fit in the bag. Although I am not sure if the tiles contain asbestos, I am really concerned about the potential for airborne asbestos in my basement. The area with the tile was not that big, but still concerns me. We were not notified by the previous home owner that the house contained floor tiles with asbestos. The basement floor was covered with rug, which we had to toss after flooding.

What should I do next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removed Asbestos Tiles

Was this vinyl tile? What year are thinking they are from? Did you Have it tested? Well you will have to break it into fine dust for it to be harmfull .

o

Just wipe everything down with wet disposable towels. Wear an approved respirator, if you want. If you smoke, quit now.

o

Risk is minimal. Asbestos is a fiber and it is encapsulated in the vinyl material. I am currently taking up 1100 ft of it with no worries.

Research Asbestos Lung Disease, it is prevalent in people with moderate to strong exposure to the fibers and doesn't occur in everyone that has that type of exposure. You don't get near that level of exposure pulling up vinyl tiles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here