Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbb100_gw

Have any experience with "weathered oak" by duraseal?

kbb100
10 years ago

Hi All,

Well, the kitchen remodel is chugging along and now I need to pick a stain for the red oak flooring on the first floor. I like the "weathered oak" stain but I can't find any pictures of rooms with that stain.

The small stain samples have been done by the floor guy, but translating those to the feel of having the whole floor that color appears to be beyond my capabilities.

Anyone used this stain or heard of folks using it? Thoughts? Photos?

Many thanks,
KB

Comments (2)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

It's apparently a new stain color ...

One thing to consider is that red oak will get darker and redder as it ages ... will the stain stay the color you want or will the changes make it undesireable.

Also: "weathered" is a trend that is fading for wood finishes. Will having a floor that is clearly a past trendy color bother you? You can't change it without sanding and restaining.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

hey there, just wondering if you made a decision on the stain, and if you have pictures?!

i also wanted to just put it out there that the "weathered oak" stain isn't all that much of a 'weathered look' like you'd achieve with bleaching, charring, steaming etc and all the other expensive treatments out there to make wood look old. i like the swatch on red oak because it's just a soft tan color with just enough gray to kill the super warm/gold/brown you get with traditional wood stain colors.

i think it's important to consider trendy v. traditional in all design decisions, but i think it's unfair to steer people away from anything that COULD be conceived as trendy because that basically means everyone should put the traditional floor in every house.

super dark cherry floors were all the rage X years ago, and while they're not all the rage today, they're still probably lovely.

not arguing that it shouldn't be part of the consideration set, but i also think comments about trend scare people off sometimes. :)

anyway, would love to see pics if the OP has made a decision!!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths