Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz16_gw

Do 2 coats oil poly=3 water base?

suz16
9 years ago

Had a contract for 3 coats poly (unspecified) for wood floor refinishing.
Only 2 coats were applied. Flooring company said it's because they used oil poly instead of water based and the price is the same, because the oil finish is more expensive and is actually the equivalent of 4 coats water base. I was told verbally they would use oil poly from the beginning. They used Absco, satin finish. They did a good job, but should they adjust the price? They refuse to. I haven't sent them the final payment. Any advice?

Comments (5)

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

No is the simple answer. One coat of oil polyurethane is the same as one coat of water Bourne urethane. Prices are different but one coat is one coat.

If you have the original bid that states 3 coats. Don't pay them until they come and do the 3rd coat. Its not your fault they decided to use in their words a "more expensive" finish.

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

If your agreement was for three coats of finish, then they either owe you a rebate or that third coat. Their claim that two coats of oilbourne is the equivalent of four coats of waterborne is ridiculous nonsense...and so is their claim that they used a "more expensive" finish.

• hockeychick
    9 years ago

greg,
    We have 3 60+ pound dogs and a very scratched up hardwood floor. It red or white oak, prefinished, builder grade. we would like to refinish the entire kitchen and great room with the most durable product possible I have been talking to a couple of contractors, One says I don't need the high traffic product, it is not much better that the oil based regular poly, and not worth the money, and exposure to toxic fumes. The other HIGHLY recommends it and says it will be the best solution for my four legged family members. I realize that it is wood and doggy nails are not ideal with any finish, but we really can't afford tile and are trying to find a workable solution. I cannot fathom the idea of replacing my beautiful hardwood with vynl although I know there are some wonderful very attractive products in that option. Any advice would be appreciated

• gregmills_gw
    9 years ago

Fire both of the guys who gave you advice! Jk but really.

Hes probably referring to a 2 part water bourne urethane. Which is not only Low VOC (no toxic fumes well no where near that of oil polyurethane) and honestly holds up much better than Oil. It is more expensive but in some scenarios is well worth it.

And the other guy who says its perfect solution for your dog predicament is trying to make a sale.

Truth is they have not yet developed a finish for HW that prevents scratching, of any kind. The "traffic" will scratch. Its not even advertised as being scratch proof. Its best for wear n tear. But it eventually will get beat up just with every finish.

My best advice is to keep the nails trimmed and do youre best to avoid playing frisbee inside :)

They have Hardwax oils like Rubio monocoat. (Plug not intended) its non film forming and doesnt do any better at preventing scratches but it does allow a Homeowner to personally sand out a scratch and reapply some oil and be good as new. Downside is its waayy more expensive and high maintenance.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Greg is right. Our hardwood floors are about 12 years old, and while they have many scratches, I don't think any of them came from our dogs (100 lb and 35 lb). I trim toenails as soon as I hear them clickity-clacking on the floors. Our current dog hates to have his nails trimmed (he seems to believe that I'm trying to kill him), but since he always gets a treat at the end, he is learning to put up with it. I'm the boss, after all!