Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring that fits a home?

Posted by AHMIowa_NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 11:00

Happy Monday - earlier this month, I posted a question about the kitchen remodel we're working on over in the Kitchens forum. But it really seems that a key decision relates to the flooring. We're looking at replacing 1989 tile with a stained maple flooring, and as we looked at the house - where there's a flow of the floor through the kitchen and down the main hall of the house. We realized that just changing the floor in the kitchen might not make sense and create a fragmented design. Thus, we should be looking at this entire area.

I don't know if it makes sense to re-post everything here, so let me refer to the original post:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0921305030180.html

So here's my question - does a medium-stained wood floor (the Somerset Maple Tumbleweed image in that post) make sense to bring this home more into this millennium without losing the style of the house, or is it too dark? I love the wood against the fireplace, but this is a major decision that I'm waffling on.

I can post the photos here, if that would help.

Thanks so much - the DH is about to go crazy if we don't get this finalized....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring that fits a home?

Hi there! I'm selecting wood floors for my kitchen area as well, and have been dealing wiht the same dilemma...too dark, what style, etc? Such a big decision.
I personally think the tone would be great in your home and what you're doing from the looks of it- but I might suggest another material. In my research, I've found that maple is great if you leave it light. This artcile has a lot of great tips (scroll down to the end for info on maple (doesn't keep its stain well)

Here is a link that might be useful: hardwood flooring 411 from houzz

o
RE: Flooring that fits a home?

I'm sorry I never replied to this! Thanks so much for your thoughts - and the link to that site about different types of wood flooring is a terrific reference.

For what it's worth, we ended up deciding to go with tile in the kitchen - and that's been just as hard a decision or maybe worse. The project is underway, and the tile will be going in shortly. We'll see... Got one order of it in, and it didn't match the sample! So we're trying gain.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here