Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Gash in kitchen floor during remodel: how to fix?

SparklingWater
10 years ago

One would never think a small (11/2" L x 3/4"w by 1/2"d) gash in a floor would cause kitchen angst, but as it's right in the middle of the HW floor in a new remodel it surely does. Word to remodelers, use 1/8" Masonite board rather than the popular less protective paper stuff.

Anyway, floor experts, might you share your wisdom on how to fill/fix this gash? This is Bruce HW white oak installed in 1977, fully refinished in 2007, and now recoated with Bona Traffic HD.

The floor man just threw in some wood putty after the Bona finish. :( A simple finger nail check pulls it right off. Something else, yes?

What might be used to help out here, short of cutting out that entire wood piece which happens to be long, central, and regrettably, one of the lighter pieces?

Thank you all for your advice.

{{gwi:1553522}}

Comments (12)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Aside from filling it with putty or cutting that board out. Not much can be done. If its as deep as you claim sanding is pointless as you would cause a large depression from sanding it out.

A good pro would have to replace the entire board. With a little finese they can just cut out a foot of two and prepare the new board to match damn near perfect.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, gregmills. It is as deep as I described, caused by the General Contractor's workers dropping heavy metal with floors only covered in that popular paper.

If it wasn't so darn obvious in the middle of a light board in the middle of the new kitchen, I'd make do. But as it is, it bothers me every single time I walk in our new kitchen on which I put so much energy, expense, and yes, even dream!

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

That's a live with it or replace it dent. After a few more bits of patina are added, it won't be that noticeable.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Then...there are the hard furniture repair shellac sticks that are melted into the dented area. I have worked with them and you can achieve an absolutely invisible repair. Yes, Virginia, it can be done. But, as Hollysprings said above, "After a few more bits of patina are added, it won't be that noticeable.."

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, glennsfc. That might be a good alternative as long as I can get the color(s) right-depending on which is chosen.

Do you have a manufacturer? I'd like to look into this more!

Sure do wish I had floor people as helpful/knowledgeable as you and Holly. But Holly, I can't stand it the way it is.:(

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Found the Belhan Furniture Repair Burn in Sticks (which have leveling methods than the knife).

I'll talk to the GC's contractor. Sure would be nice to do a local fix, as this is tongue and groove and removing that piece isn't such a small job.

Do they work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Belhan Furniture Sticks

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Yes it does work, but you have to find someone with a kit and who has done repairs. Perhaps a company that specializes in furniture repair also does these kinds of repairs to wood flooring. Just an idea.

Once the area is filled, then it might require careful touching up with a tiny bit of Bona Traffic HD in the same gloss level done with the recoat.

The Kahrs hardwood company sold the kits to its dealers for them to repair dents such as the one you have. The stick colors are 'mixable' to a point and you can disguise the damage using the stuff. That is what furniture repair technicians do on a regular basis.

• User
    10 years ago

Do yourself a favor and look for a youtube video showing how to use the shellac sticks. If there are any decent furniture repair people near you they might have the material, equipment and expertise needed to increase the odds of this method working.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

That type of repair is more an art than it is a brute science. And that's why furniture repair people are being recommended rather than flooring people. Once it's "repaired" though, you have to be really careful with it or it will come out. It works much better on wood you don't walk on, or in a much less prominent spot that won't have traffic. Just be prepared for something less than permanence. And that's why I recommended a replacement board over that.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Do not replace the board...chances are it will not match.

If you can't find someone to work with shellac sticks, then there is another way to disguise the damage. Hardwood flooring people (I being just one) use a 3M Epoxy to repair hardwood and to fill knot holes, splits and other things that need filling or repair. I have heard mention of colored epoxies, but I have never used those. They might work for you...the stuff would stick permanently and you could paint in the missing wood grain with most any media (pencil, marker, paint). I have done that with just the clear epoxy and got acceptable results. If you started with a colored epoxy that is a close match to the background color of the wood, then painted in the missing wood grain, that could work as well.

Hint: when you work with epoxy, you have to think of the repair site as a surgeon would a patient in an operating room. You want to protect the surrounding area to prevent the epoxy from winding up where you don't want it and be sure that you have denatured alcohol to wipe up any that might get where not intended.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it's reassuring to hear floor experts offer alternatives/advise. I didn't know the burn in stick method could come out. This gash is high traffic area: I want something more permanent.

As to the hardwood: we have a goodly supply of the original, left by the previous owner. It's the right color, just not finished as the new remodel floors have been (re-coated).

Since I want something permanent, it's in a high traffic area, sounds like two options: epoxy or cut out or replace the board, then refinish that area with Bona.

The GC and I are in touch. I hope he has a great floor man. Remember, our floor man was just to do new required floor patching and re-coating of kitchen and DR and study with Bona. He prefers to stay out of this problem.

Thank you. You've truly helped with advice. I'll try to keep you updated.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just an update. No word/phone call from our General Contractor as yet as to when their floor man will come over to discuss/work on the gash. In case you're wondering (as I am). The extra wood needed is already in the house.

Thanks again.