Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need opinions on Armstrong Luxe Vinyl Plank

Posted by a.girl.named.max (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 10:33

Hello I am undertaking a total rehab of a house that has been abandoned for six years. I intend to move into the house. It needs a lot on work so money is a consideration. I am thinking about buying the Armstrong Luxe vinyl plank flooring and installing it myself in the kitchen and diningroom. The area would be approximately 10 x 24. I would appreciate any comments or opinions. Thank you very much!

A Girl Named Max

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need opinions on Armstrong Luxe Vinyl Plank

I like the Luxe planks. I installed Kinston Walnut (Best) in a closet. These planks are 1/8" thick and have a 20 mil wear layer. They look fantastic.

The planks were my first attempt at flooring and were very easy to work with. The glue is pressure sensitive, so you can reposition the planks to get a very tight fit, unlike Konnecto and other similar products. I used a large pair of snips to cut the planks and that method worked well. I also undercut the door frames for a professional look and finished the room off with stained-to-match shoe molding.

Make sure you allow the planks to acclimatize to the room before you install them. There was a slight vinyl odor while my planks were acclimatizing, but none when I installed and none since. And the flatter the floor, the better it will look, so take the time to prep the floors properly. I installed over a concrete slab, so after removing the carpet, I cleaned the slab well, then filled holes from the tack strips and other imperfections. I used a Henry's pre-mixed product that I got at Home Depot.

There are several helpful DIY clips on YouTube: a flashy one for installing Luxe planks, one for installing Konnecto that I found helpful, and also a few for undercutting door frames. The instructions that come with the planks are also good.

One drawback to the Luxe is that it is somewhat expensive for a DIY plank, if you go with one of the Best patterns. The Best patterns are also slippery for dogs. All in all, I'm very happy with mine!

o

which of the planks wouldn't be slippery for dogs?

o

I just had Armstrong Luxe vinyl plank flooring installed throughout my house. I love it. Most people who visit think it is real wood. Since I had the flooring installed, I can't say much about the installation. But here's what I do know. The surface that I installed on was concrete. It was a mess--very uneven and cracked. My installer commented that it is good I got a floating floor, which does a better job of hiding imperfections. Also, I am told that it is critical during installation to roll over the floor with a 100# roller.

My floor is a bit more "delicate" than I had hoped for, but then, I started out looking for a heavy industrial grade product. I just couldn't find anything that I liked in that grade of flooring, so I got the best line in the Armstrong vinyl plank. The floor is beautiful and I love it. My dogs do slip on it, however.

o

I realize this thread is a bit old but I'll post my review in case someone else looking for an opinion on this flooring is searching.

If I could do it over again I would not have purchased it. The one and only reason is that it scratches very easily. I purchased the top grade of this flooring and expected better durability at $5 per square foot. After the first month of general use the flooring is full of scratches and I don't even know where they came from. Also, Armstrong tells you that the adhesive bond becomes permanent after several weeks but even 3 months after installing I can still pull the planks apart.

o

Despite a bad experience where Armstrong did not take care of a problem with Armstrong Solarian, I am considering Armstrong vinyl plank flooring, and I need some current information on the Luxe line, installation, durability, etc. I'll appreciate any information. Thank you.
August 23, 2013

o

Idouthit, I have been shopping flooring for some rentals and I really like what is in my son's rental apartment in Massachsuetts. It's Armstrong vinyl plank flooring. It looks great, and is on concrete. It's glued down.

I'm considering it for our sunporch on Cape Cod where we have very little clearance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here