Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rautry_gw

Laticrete Epoxy Grout Colors Dry Lighter?

RAutry
12 years ago

I'm considering using Laticrete Expoxy Grout for my kitchen but I read that the Sand Beige color dries 2-3 shades lighter than the sample. Has anyone else experienced this? If this is the case I'm considering the Sandstone color as an alternate. We recently redid our master bath with Ardex grout and found that the grout selected was way lighter when installed than the sample. They never mentioned this could happen at the tile specialty shop where we purchased. I just don't want to make the same mistake again since a darker grout should be easier to maintain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Comments (10)

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

Yes, I just used LATICRETE SpectraLOCK Grout a couple weeks ago and was a little disappointed. We got "Almond" and it looks just a little off white. It is nothing like the color on the side of the box.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

I received an email response for my complaint about the grout color.

He said:
    "The color swatches on the box are usually not a good way to pick grout colors. A paper grout color chart is the most accurate thing to choose color from."

In other words the colors on the boxes are wrong.

• floorman67
    12 years ago

barbcollins,

the better grout manufacturers have grout stick sample packs with hardened sticks of the actual grout used in them for product selection purposes.

ask for them at your retailer.

while not 100% perfect depending on the mix rate, they are very close to what you will get.

distributors and flooring stores carry them but not most big boxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laticrete Grout Samples

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

floorman67 - Yes, I have learned my lesson.

It's a little aggravating though. They should either not print a color sample on the box, or mark it that "actual color way vary".

The color on the Almond box was much darker that the actual off white of the grout.

• floorman67
    12 years ago

Barbcollins,

This is one of the plethora of issues those of us in the industy know of by our experience.

The do-it-yourself'er does not have this experience to fall back on, and you really miss out on by not purchasing an installed product from a flooring professional.

Heck, even many newer retailers miss it and many other issues.

Please do not misunderstand. I am assuming this is a diy issue. If I am mistaken, I am sorry. Its great to save money and diy, but you really do lose out on the decades of experience a professional retail and/or installation operation can bring to your home.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

Yes, it's DIY. 99% of what we do is DIY. I have not had this problem before, so that's why I was surprised when the color was lighter than I thought it would be. This is my 5th tile project.

Heck most of what I have learned in life was "learned by my mistakes" :)

It turned out fine, and I think the backsplash is beautiful. Just lighter grout than I planned.

• willintotry
    12 years ago

I just completed my kitchen reno, and installed a tile backsplash which I grouted using Spectralock "sandstone". The grout dried exactly as depicted on the color chart, and was very easy to use. It turned out beautifully. My one concern was that Laticrete does not make the Latisil caulk in the sandstone color.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Thank you Willintotry for letting us know that the grout dried the same color as depicted on the color chart. I found the color chart to be fairly accurate for the Laticrete Mushroom grout I used in my two small foyers in 2009 but the plastic grout stick given to me by the store is too yellow and darker than the actual grout color so I would not go by any plastic bar sticks from a store.

We'd love to see picture of your backsplash if you have time.

• diydude1776
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Used “light pewter” and it goes on white. several days later it is gray in some areas and an off white in other areas. Disappointed. Also some ceramic residue from the bottom row of tiles layers more than a week later stained the grout. they tell me it dries lighter.

The bench is just grouted. The flow was done a couple weeks ago (The walls have not yet been grouted)

Other than that is spreads smooth and is the easiest grout to clean up.