Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1880 house, wood floors

Posted by TOBEYSCHWARTZ (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 10:26

I removed wall-to-wall carpet in my bedroom. It appears nothing has ever been put on the wood except 10 in. of paint around the edges. I was told the wood is pumpkin pine. The wood is so dry it is splintered in some places. When attempting to start sanding and patching with a hand sander the splinters keep getting larger and there is a "saw dust" like quality. Is there any type of treatment to replace moisture or to sand these sections of floor board without making them worse?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1880 house, wood floors

"Is there any type of treatment to replace moisture or to sand these sections of floor board without making them worse?"

Generally no.

It sounds like the wood is flat sawn and may not have been intended as a 'show' surface.

You can try a less aggressive sander like a 6 inch random orbit and some finer paper, or a vibratory sander (the least aggressive, but also slowest).

o
RE: 1880 house, wood floors

Glue down the splintery areas with a medium-viscosity superglue before sanding any further.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: super t glue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here