Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1080eyes

Looking for any hints/advice for installing Travertine.

1080eyes
10 years ago

I've installed ceramic in the past. (about 100sq. ft.) About to remodel our kitchen, the flooring is going to be 18" travertine. I know that getting the tilties level and straight grout lines is important.
We have a slab house (40yr. old), with no new settling.
I looking for any helpful advice, with prep, install, or care afterwords.

Comments (5)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Don't buy poor quality travertine from a box store or discount store. It's something that you get what you pay for. The biggest thing is the prep for a flat floor if there are humps and bumps or birdbaths in your slab. Those need to be addressed prior to starting to set the tile. Travertine also needs sealing, and it's porous enough that multiple sealing coats post install are recommended. 511 is a good quality impregnating sealer and will help to keep stains from penetrating the surface. It's about $100 a gallon. You will need to repeat the sealing periodically, and the schedule will depend on your cleaning products and frequency. When water doesn't bead up on it anymore, the sealer has been stripped, and it's time to seal again. What it won't help with, and no sealer will help with, is etching. Travertine will etch when exposed to acids. It's also relatively soft, so you need to be sure that you have rugs at the entrances to capture the dirt and grit from shoes and keep it from scratching the flooring.

Personally, I prefer a porcelain look alike. No need for any care at all if you use a urethane or epoxy grout. And will stand up to even an abrasive beach environment onslaught by sandy shoes.

• 1080eyes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

live wire...do I need a "type" thinset for Traverting?
    thanks

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Maybe one of the flooring contractors can give you some advice on this, but my understanding is that because of the irregularity of travertine or any marble product, it cannot be thinset. The grout ines are minimal, which precludes much adjustment for irregularities in the subfloor. I don't know that you have to do a 2" mudset for the marble, but thinset might not be successful. Here's an article that might answer some questions you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Travertine Installation.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Dunno what Bev was referring to, but THINSET it required to set a Travertine floor....you might even need a "Medium Bed" type of morter, depending on the size of the tile.

We need more info. Is this on a slab? And how flat is it? NTCA guidlines require flatness of no more than 1/8" over 10 ft. Otherwise, lippage could be a concern. You don't want them "Toe Stubbers," eh?

If it's "Post & Beam," we need more info. Go to John Bridge dot com and plug your info into the "Deflecto" computer in the blue bar at the top of the page and post your results here, or at JB Forums. We'll get back to you....

• 1080eyes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its on a concrete slab.
    As for the flatness, I will first have to remove the ceramic that is on the slab now. I know that is important and I will either grind down high spots, or fill in low spots with SLC.
    The Travertine I'm using is 18"x 18"

Thanks