Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryleb_gw

Floor in New Home not Level

cheryleb
10 years ago

We had a new home built and moved in this June (Canada). We noted a few spots that are soft enough that when you step on them the flooring sinks at least 1/4" under foot during the initial inspection. About a week later, I noticed that a wine bottle on the island would rattle when I walked past the fridge. I used a 24" level and went around the house checking and found it would spin in place in many areas. It seems that there are high ridges from front to back of the house - the same direction the laminate is installed.

The framer came out and cut through one joist to try to pull it down and then laminated another joist to it. This helped a bit in the kitchen but he said it was still not within the tolerance limit.

The builder sent a rep from the flooring company to inspect it but he didn't have information on the product and brought no tools so it was a waste of time. He said that it is normal to have give with a laminate click and lock floor. Last week an inspector from the home warranty program came out - also without tools or specs. He sent me a letter this week saying the floor was within the tolerance limit of 1/4" over 32". I asked for a report that indicated where he had tested and the results of each test knowing he had not done any. I was told he is a professional and the builder values his opinion.

We disagree. We used a laser level and a ruler to test ourselves. We put the laser level on the floor on a high spot and held it level. We stood the ruler about 32" from the laser level and then took a picture of the ruler that showed where the beam from the laser level hit and it ranged from 1/4" to 1/2" in five of the six places we tested which was two areas in MBR, two in kitchen and one in a smaller bedroom.

I also emailed the manufacturer of the flooring to ask if they could provide the specs. We are not sure how to proceed. Is the method we used to test appropriate or is there another way that is the industry standard?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly welcomed. We are feeling very discouraged by the process and the results in our new home. There seems to have been no quality control during the building process.

Comments (4)