Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Procelain tile flooring problem

Posted by stubborn_lady (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 8:40

I just had procelain tile put down in my kitchen. The day that the tiler left the project all appeared well. He had just finished the grout. The next day I noticed that the brown grout was lighter in some areas. The more I looked I found tile that were chipped when he laid the floor and areas with little holes in the grout. My biggest concern is the numerous areas where the edge of one tile is higher than the adjacent tile. He says this is very common and won't cause any problems. I think it could lead to tripping and make the tile more likely to chip, plus it makes it harder to keep clean. I was told to use a Swiffer type floor cleaner. Yesterday I cleaned the floor three times with the wet pads and used a total of 9 pads. I was still getting up dirt or grout glaze.

Are these type things to be expected? If not what should I reasonably expect the company do now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Procelain tile flooring problem

Some Haze is expected. No biggie, just needs wiped some more. The tiles should not look higher on any side. this I dont like hearing. pictures would help us diagnose whether there is an issue or not. The little grout holes can be fixed easily. I am guessing you used a sanded grout, which is a grout that can be difficult to keep the color consistent. Moisture or water inconsistencies when mixing sanded grout will cause Efflorescence or polymer leaching to rise giving it a lighter look. The darker the grout, the more difficult to stay consistent. There are many grouts available that will not do this. Let's see some pics.

o
Grout stuck on wood look porcelain tile

2 weeks ago new porcelain wood look til was installed in hall bathroom. Grout spots won't come off low spots in tile. Contractor used chemical and rubbing to try to remove. Now he says darker grout would have made this fade into tile. It seems to me the grout on tiles should have been removed during the grouting. Contractor wants to try grout refresh 'painting' tiles. What do you think of all this? Thanks!

o

I think your tile job looks like you know what. He should never have left you with that mess.

Start a new thread for this.

o

Duplicate

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 12:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here