Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traceylacey_gw

last message from the "am i being to picky?" girl!

traceylacey
10 years ago

I'm hoping you can see all of the questions and pics i have posted. If you read the "am i being too picky?" post first you'll see that it's not just one thing i'm "questioning".

I just know this is not how I would "complete" a job. It just looks messy to me.

I supplied the hardwood- Johnson engineered
I supplied the adhesive- Bostik's ultra set single step

When the guy came to measure I told him that I had the wood and the adhesive and everything else he had to supply. All they brought was the base shoe and not even enough of that.

This is a BRAND NEW condo, 843 sq ft of flooring was to be installed (960 sq ft with the 10% ???) I paid 3,650 when all other bids were 2,900-3,100.

There was around 160 sq ft of tile to be ripped out and I also paid for them to move any furniture.

There are also some "popping" boards and i know that has to do with the subfloor being level and /or not enough adhesive put down. When I asked him about why they installers didn't level the floor or even check, he said, "thats extra".

I said "I WOULD HAVE PAID FOR THAT HAD YOU TOLD ME!'

my point is that i am not the expert. There are things that i dont even know i don't know so how am i supposed to know what needs to get done or it would've been nice to be given a choice.

I also dont know why they would put white base shoe under the cabinetry instead of matching it to the wood or cabs. Oh yea... the installer said "we just install white and thats it".

So even if I had written a detailed list on the contract it wouldnt have worked because i didn't know certain things until after I noticed that they looked "off".

In all fairness... I guess 90% is done right but when I do any kind of work I always take pride, never rush, and there are definitely things I would've done and i'm no hardwood expert. It just seems like common sense to me.

Comments (3)

• MiaOKC
    10 years ago

Sorry how this has worked out for you, how frustrating! I'm not a pro, but here's my two cents. If it were me, I would get a packet of small post-it flags and use them to go around to all the detail "picky" areas, like where the shoe molding wasn't painted at the miter cut, wasn't caulked, etc., and flag ALL the areas you want the crew to fix when they come.

The white shoe molding under the cabinets is just laughable. You will likely need to find a match/similar color yourself, or have the floor co custom stain new shoe to match the cabs (although they haven't proven themselves that reliable so I think the best choice is to search out the exact product you want, as you will care about the match more than them) and get it to the site and have them install it.

If the floor is not level/popping, is there a warranty on their labor? That does not seem acceptable for the company to claim "level" is not a base install requirement.

One pic where you asked should there be caulk - I wondered if this already had that shoe molding in place or if it was added after the install? I hope they left room for an expansion joint.

Not to pile on with another complaint, but this photo that shows the flooring from a wider view looks like the joints are too repetitive, does not look very random - perhaps there were inexperienced installers involved?

I would have a plumber come and reset both toilets, asap, before that leak ruins your flooring. If there is a way to turn off the water to that leaking toilet and get the water out now, I'd do that then wait for the plumber. Be advised that even with a plumber setting it, you may have some wax squeeze up through the bolt holes when weight is applied to the toilet and it settles in with initial usage. I do not think I would have expected toilet reset as part of the price I paid the floor co, unless it was specifically discussed and set out in the contract, as that is an entirely different trade and a floor co isn't necessarily qualified to do that. In our area, only licensed plumbers are permitted to do that (although I have had one tile guy color outside the lines and set a toilet for me ... shhhh!)

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

"If the floor is not level/popping, is there a warranty on their labor? That does not seem acceptable for the company to claim "level" is not a base install requirement."

This is the one complaint that you have that seems very reasonable. An installer ought to know the basic requirements for installing a wood flooring product. It is an installer's responsibility to see that the flooring is installed correctly, and flattening a substrate to within the flooring manufacturer's requirements is necessary and part of the job. However, flattening is an additional charge for materials and labor and should have been discussed and included in the proposal. Since they messed up, I would say they are required to fix it. There are repair kits made to fix these problem areas.

• traceylacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for your feedback.

just last night i was noticing that they put way too many off the same size boards together. now my gorgeous hardwood floor looks like laminate (all the same sizes).

this is really bothering me now because he told me he sent his "best" crew! LOL!!!!

now i'm wondering if the installers were even licensed. the company is licensed but i don't know how that works as far as the installers.

common sense would tell me that of of course the installers should be licensed.

Now what am i to do about the way they set the planks?

Never in a million years did i think i would have to say...

NOW DONT USE THE SAME SIZE BOARDS IN EACH ROOM. MAKE SURE YOU STAGGER THEM AND MAKE IT LOOK RANDOM. ITS LIKE THEY CATEGORIZED EACH SIZE AND SAID...OK, THIS SIZE IS FOR THE KITCHEN, THIS SIZE IS FOR THE LIVING ROOM, THIS LITTLE ONE IS FOR THE BATHROOM, ETC.

I'm so angry right now.

and as far as the base shoe goes... there was never any ANYWHERE so any gaps are from what they cut off the bottom of the door base.