Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnmiller_2009

Electric radiant floor heat reviews

johnmiller_2009
14 years ago

Winter is ahead..One of my colleagues suggested me to go for suntouch electric radiant floor heat. Does Suntouch under floor heating system really works good? What about installation? Is it too expensive..? also worried about electricity bill... Any advises, recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time & help.

Comments (10)

• Vicki
    14 years ago

We absolutely love ours, works great, no noticeable increase in electric bills. It appeared to be easy to install with the cost of install being in the hiring of the electrician to hook it up. They are never cheap. The
    cost of the mats themselves aren't cheap either, but well worth the money.

• greenfingernail
    14 years ago

what about using it for a basement which has flooded in the past (should not recur if basement sealed well from rain but may not be able to guarantee)

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

I've used Warming Systems wire (not mat) in 4 different rooms. It's easy to install, is cheaper than the mat systems, and we've had no problems with it. Looking forward to turning it on again in a few more weeks. :-)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

There are several systems out that are good. Suntouch is certainly one of them, as well as Laticrete's Farenheat, Warmly Yours', and Costco's system, all of which are clones of the Suntouch system, and all just as good. The only other system that I know well, and think highly of would be Nuheat's system. About the only difference in their mats from the other is the "matting" that the wires are weaved through. Whereas with the Suntouch system, it's kinda like a fishnet, with Nuheat, it's more like burlap. That's about the only difference I've seen, and I have no problem installing any of these systems. All are reliable, all have terrific product support (and I DO mean terrific), and all are priced, give or take, about the same. I guess it all depends on which is most available to you, and who's willing to give you a deal.

• pvcamom
    14 years ago

Bill

Have you heard of Thermosoft? I'm thinking about installing this in the kitchen underneath the engineered flooring. I like the idea that it doesn't require any cement over it and therefore wouldn't raise the flooring. I already have installed the flooring in other parts of the house & have stopped close to the kitchen area. However, I'm little concerned about the installation. The flooring people were NAILING & glueing down the planks & I'm assuming they are going to do the same for the kitchen.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I HAVE heard of them, and although I've had no experience with them, I've heard nothing bad about them.

• dvermeeren
    4 years ago

Our Suntouch floor heating system was installed in our main bathroom in 2008 by a pro as part of a complete home remodel. We are now having problems; the floor mat does not stay warm and appears to be failing intermittently. We have replaced the thermostat controller with a new one at a cost of $100.....despite this still not working. We are not happy with now having to rip out the entire tile floor for a redo....:-(

Somewhat curious why the latest reviews on here are at least 10years old?

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

As warmlyyours states, the systems today have been upgraded from the time you put yours down 12 years ago. The old wire mesh systems were/are fraught with issues. The one you describe is precisely what the new systems are built to avoid.

The new 'sheets' or mats (like Ditra Heat) are far more reliable. Even though they are more expensive to PURCHASE they are FAR EASIER to install. And an easy install saves on labour costs. It works out in the wash.

I hope you can find a way to rescue your situation...but not everyone has the expertise as WarmlyYours. Good luck.

• dlmgraham
    last year

Electrician installed Feb 2022 in Michigan. Stopped working Sept 2022. Electrician found power not getting to mat. We call Suntouch and closest contacts they have is Wisconsin and Colorado. She said the guy in Wisconsin MIGHT make the trip. We would have to pay for him to come. IF he agrees to make the multi-day trip AND determines it falls under warranty, we would be reimbursed. WHAT? Don't be fooled. There is essentially NO WARRANTY for Suntouch.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz