Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traceylacey_gw

need someone smart- "hollow" spots

traceylacey
10 years ago

long story short, they pulled up the wood where it leaked in the bathroom-installers didn't want to do it and were walking out the door when the "company" ordered them to pull it out.

I refused to let them put the toilets back and i'm having it done by someone else.

THIS IS KARMA... i dont even know why the installer told me this, but, he did.... HE TOOK MY WAX RING THAT I HAD BOUGHT FOR THE TOILET AND KEPT IT FOR HIMSELF! HE HAD REUSED THE ORIGINAL ONE THAT WAS ON IT!

I think he told me this because he wanted to get outta there and assured me that it wouldnt leak again because he put the NEW wax ring on this time.

The installers basically took the toilet back off today, reinstalled the toilet w/the new wax ring and then caulked around the toilet and called it a day.

I told them they were supposed to pull that section of boards off (about 4' x 3'area) but they kept saying "the leak (DIRTY TOILET WATER!) didn't damage anything, there's no damage". Thats when I called the "sales guy" and he got on the phone and told them to re do it. I could hear the installer huffing and puffing, trying to say there was no damage.

When I looked at the bottom of the boards after they were pulled, there it was... water stains! So hopefully the toilet issue is taken care of.

SECOND BIG ISSUE... there are a LOT of hollow spots where it not only sounds hollow but the boards would "give" & move. The installers brought a wood floor repair injection kit and drilled holes & injected the glue.

I found out the "sales guy" made the installers buy the kit (80.00 for glue 30oz and syringe, etc) because it was their mistake. When I started showing him other hollow sounding spots he said "oh no they're fine, they're not moving like this one, they dont need any glue injected".

Well after 3 separate areas of repair...his glue was all gone so he couldn't inject any more areas cause he had none left. He'd literally need about 30 times that amount or more to fix all the areas.

I also noticed when they pulled up the boards in the bathroom, a lot of area on each board had no adhesive so i'm guessing either the concret wasnt level or they didn't weigh down the boards so that it adhered to the glue.

Now i didnt see how much glue was on the concrete, i just know a lot of areas on the underside of the boards was clean and smooth.

My question is this...

Do i need to worry about the "hollow" sounding spots or was he just telling me "they're fine" cause he didn't have enough repair glue to fix them.

2nd question is... do the underside/bottom of the pulled out boards give any clue as to maybe they didn't use enough glue or trowel it correctly.

thanks so much for everyone's help!

Comments (2)