Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will I regret 1/2" or 3/8" engineered hardwood?

Posted by newtoremodel (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 1:28

I've been looking at engineered flooring for the entire house (75% over crawlspace, 25% over slab) and I need some assistance with the final choices. The DW likes darker floors (eg walnut), but more important priorities are durability and cost. We really like the look of the Shaw Camden Hills in Lasso. http://shawfloors.com/hardwood-floorsDetails/Hickory/Shaw_Hardwoods/Camden_Hills_SW433-Lasso
but we're concerned about some of the negative reviews online regarding delamination, etc. Another choice would be the Anderson Dellamano in Hickory Espresso http://www.andersonfloors.com/Hardwood.aspx?collection=3 It seems like their construction is about the same, 3 ply + a thinner wear layer, but Anderson supposedly has a better reputation. Some flooring sales people have pushed the even thinner 3/8" Shaw Epic line with the particle board center as a better alternative due the increased hardness and cheaper price. Should I take any of these options off the table? The total cost is important, but we want to do it right the first time. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will I regret 1/2" or 3/8" engineered hardwood?

How do you like to install your flooring? staple, glue or float?

o

Shaw would absolutely back any delam issue you would ever had and it is warranted for life. That is key. We have sold Shaw engineered for years and have never has one claim yet. PS Shaw owns anderson and most Shaw Anderson woods are produced in Anderson Mills which is now Shaw owned.

o

Thanks for the info, I didn't know Anderson was owned by Shaw. Are their hardwoods manufactured in the same mills?

I was planning to ask for glue down with a waterproof adhesive, but now I'm not so sure. We have both crawlspace and slab and in order to have everything leveled, we will need to install plywood over the subfloor everywhere. Does that mean that the plywood should be glued to the concrete (with the water proof glue) and the floor needs to be glued to the plywood? Would that cause moisture issues since the plywood is "sealed" on both sides?

Any advice on the EnviroCore by Shaw? Is it better, or just cheaper?

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here