Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I had my Karastan rugs steam cleaned and now they're limp

Posted by bigdoglover (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 1:12

The carpet cleaners were here so I had them steam clean my two area rugs and my throw rugs as well, all of them Oriental/wool. They use clear water, heated, no chemicals or soap.

It was the first cleaning for the two Karastans (purchased at Tuesday Morning a few years ago). I've had other oriental rugs cleaned like this in the past, no problem. Also my throw oriental wool rugs did fine.

But the two Karastans are now more like blankets on the floor -- no stiffness or body to them at all. You sit on the sofa, put your feet on the rug and it bunches up. I'm so bummed about this!!

Any ideas why this happened and what I can do to get them back to normal?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I had my Karastan rugs steam cleaned and now they're limp

Did you check with Karastan before you had them steam cleaned? I would never let carpet cleaners touch my rugs. I take them to professional rug cleaners who know about the fiber content, etc and how to best clean them.

I would call Karastan and see if they have any suggestions.

o

The last time I took an oriental rug to a rug cleaner I was appalled at the dirty vat of water they put the rugs in, and that's why it was the last time.

Good idea to call Karastan and I should have done that to begin with, as you point out.

o
PS RE: I had my Karastan rugs steam cleaned and now they're limp

From the Karastan website, under "Care":

"We suggest sending your rug to a reputable professional who is accustomed to cleaning rugs of this quality when your Karastan rug appears dirty or has set-in stains. In-home cleaning is not recommended, though we do suggest taking immediate action in the case of spills to lessen stains."

OK, again, DUH. I have emailed them "confessing my sins" and will post their reply here in case anyone else is interested.

I guess since this never caused a problem with any other oriental rug, I didn't give it a second thought.

o

I don't think all rug cleaners use the "dirty water vat method." I deal with a small locally-owned business that really knows their stuff and they take the time to show me exactly what they are going to do. They seem to love Karastan rugs for their quality. They helped educate me on what to look for with selecting rugs for my specific budget.

I would be very curious to hear what Karastan recommends. You might also want to call a rug cleaner and explain the quandary and see if they can fix the problem.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here