Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carpet on concrete walls

Posted by yokatta (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 0:52

Anyone put carpet on concrete walls? If so do you have any tips to prep and make it look good? I have a 18' high by 30' long wall I want to put carpet on to look better and prevent echo. Let me know your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carpet on concrete walls

Not easy....usually contact cement on both sides

o

Thanks for the response. Both sides meaning the concrete and the back of the carpet? Would it help to acid etch the concrete? Also how do you think it would work to mount a tack strip on the top of the wall by the ceiling?

o

Please consult the products installation instructions or the manufacturers techical [installation] services department for precise information on verticle surface application.

That said, if you install the carpet with contact adhesive you will probably void the warrenty, as I have never seen contact adhesive recommended.

We would use a recommended multi-purpose adhesive applied with recommended trowel notching, and roll completely with a hand roller to ensure recommended adhesive transfer.

As to prep, just like on the floor, scrape/grind/stone the high spots and fill in the low spots with patching compound mixed on the thick side to ensure a smooth surfance that wont telegraph through.

Glued carpet on verticle surfaces is very messy and a pain in the posterior even for the consumate professional, so make sure to protect your other installation area surfaces, like the floor below the area you wish to cover, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here