Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Joists dimensions vary

Posted by rerod (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 0:06

I noticed a crack in the old tile in my bathroom before removing them, but thought it was a plywood issue. But after measuring my 2x9's from below Iv determined they must have been ripped on a Monday or Friday because they vary in height about 3/16" of a inch. And may also have crowns. Either way.. It looks like this has ended my plans on installing tile or hardwood in the home. Can SLC take care of this enough where I could lay tile or hardwood?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Joists dimensions vary

You can plane them down to a flat surface that matches and then install sub-floor and tile.

If you take off more than about 1/4 inch you should sister the top of the joist to restore the strength.

o

If you have cracks, you have movement.

thats the FIRST issue you need to rectify.

where is the movement coming from ?

was the tile installed over a mud bed or backer board ?

if not, is the thickness of the playwoood and joist thickness and spacing enough to adhere to the L/360 minimum industry standard deflection rate ?

you certainly could mud the tiles in, starting at the high point if there is variance in the height (waviness), but that is difficult to explain in text on a website.

another consideration of a topical solution are the transitions. They finish height of the new tile compared to the finish height of the other flooring surfaces it meets, usually at doorways. If you need a flush transition, you need to do a bit of planning. If its not much of a concern, you may be able to use a doorway saddle. Most use marble for this or hardwood.

o

Thanks.

The cracked grout was directly above the 3/4" T&G seam over a high joist. No mud bed or backer board.

Floor rated at L / 522.

I don't mind using a doorway saddle because eventually I would like to have either hardwood or tile throughout the home. I just have doubts that goal is a obtainable with my uneven joists.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here