Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this carpet junk?

Posted by melanieboe (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 23:34

Hi,

We have a large home that needed new carpeting. Since the home is large, the final price was an issue for us. We went with a frieze, although a cheaper frieze, thinking it would be fine since it is known to wear well. We had it installed by a very reputable company one month ago. Within a week, we noticed the yarn unraveling on the stairs (the individual twists of yarn.) With this carpet, it seems that any amount of rubbing or sliding of something (like furniture) can make the carpet untwist in places. Here are the specs of the carpet:

"Brenham (B), number Q4742, is a textured Anso BCF nylon product. It has a 31.2 ounce face weight, 0.73" pile thickness, 1539 density, 6.1 twist and 3.5 medium traffic rating. Anso branded carpets will get the new Anso warranties that include a Lifetime limited Stain and Soil, Lifetime limited Pet Urine Stains, 20 year Texture Retention, 20 year Abrasive Wear, 20 year Quality Assurance, 20 year Softbac Platinum (if applicable) and a 30 day Consumer Satisfaction warranty."

Now I realize the face weight and density are low, but is this carpet total junk or what? It is by Shaw. Why would it be untwisting? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this carpet junk?

If it is untwisting..it is faulty. if it indeed it is untwisting it will be replaced. There is no better carpet or warranty in the marketplace than Anso. It is Shaws claim to fame. Your retailer should view it and then have an inspection done for Shaw. These are economic tough times and manufacturers are denying claims at record rates. But if it is untwisting...it is a no brainer and it should be replaced. Good Luck

o

Thank you, I didn't know if it was just low quality due to the face weight and density. We are not doing anything abnormal to damage it, I am not even using the roller brush on the vacuum since even foot traffic is causing the tufts to untwist and matte!

o

If it is untwisting something is wrong. Anso Nylon is considered top quality. Weight doesent mean squat on a frieze. If it is matting (untwisting in a month) something has gone haywire. Get the retailer out there. Something has to be wrong if it is untwisting as you indicate. Good Luck

o

Thanks for the reply. Will do!

o

I am not familiar with that particular carpet, but I did not that the pile height is almost 3/4 inch which is particularly long.

Just trying to figure out what exactly the problem is since frieze carpet doesn't un-ravel. Berber can carpet unravel, but a cut pile, which a frieze is, doesn't un-ravel.

As Floortech said, contact your dealer and ask for a claim to be submitted. Un-twisting so quickly would be a manufacturing defect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here