Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What cork flooring manufacturer is best?

Posted by laurarenos7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 22:04

I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno and am wondering if anyone out there has thoughts on which manufacturer provides a better product. The two corks available are Torly's and Wicanders.
I would also like to hear from anyone who has done something unique with their cork flooring such as mixing colours or putting in a border etc. Also, would cork flooring clash with countertops that are granite with a lot of movement?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What cork flooring manufacturer is best?

We have very good experience with Ipocork.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipocork

o

I am planning to put cork tiles in my kitchen in a herringbone pattern with 6X12 tiles. I like tile patterns on floors and think they can really elevate the look of a space. I am also planning to use granite counters with a lot of movement (though I may do quartz if the practical considerations win out...).

The brands I am considering use a veneer I think is very attractive and reminiscent of travertine. Globus Cork, Duro Design, and AmCork are on my list of possibilities. Globus makes the different tile sizes and colors I want but is expensive. I would have to cut Duro's myself, but there are many colors. Duro was great about providing samples and seems to make a high quality product and provide great service. I checked out a local installation in a store in the mall. Very nice. I found AmCork online, and they have a few patterns I like (Bark, Stone, Oceano, or Marble Blakc) and low prices. I would have to cut the tiles and probably stain/tone them myself to get the color I want.

I haven't decided which one yet. I may try different ones in 2 small baths and see how they go before I make the commitments in my kitchen and master bath. I am carefully reading the installation and maintenance instructions. There are some differences there.

If you are interested in floating floors, there are many more options. However, in kitchens and baths, I like the idea of site-applied finish for a monolithic coating over all seams.

o

Thanks, Andersons. Globus sounds like they offer a product similar to Wicanders which comes in various sizes of tiles as well as planks. I like your idea of the herringbone pattern. We have done 2 teenagers' bedrooms in cork (floating floor) and it looks, feels, and wears great. I have not looked into site applied finishes so that is something I will check out.

o

I wouldn't recommend cork in the kitchen. We are about to replace a Wiccanders cork floor that is only 5 years old. After a couple of years, the seams became quite visible. Then we had a leak under the sink, which traveled under the floating floor and ruined it. I called Wiccanders, and the lady said they don't recommend using cork in the kitchen, which surprised me because they advertise it in kitchens. Never again!

o

Again, repeating response to patma's complaint.

I don't think your problem was with the cork. It was with the floating floor which is a thin layer of cork over a cardboard type substrate. Wood-look or Tile-look laminate flooring also has that same problem. Our glue down tiles are fine with water. I have boys who constantly leave ice cubes on the floor(from the through-the-door frig dispenser) and I had a dishwasher leak that flooded the floor overnight once. The floor is fine because it was glue-down cork which is cork the whole way through. Think about it - cork sits in wine bottles for years and is fine.

Incidentally, I think it's very strange that patma felt it necessary to revive such old threads to post the complaint so many times.

o

I installed a DuroDesign floating cork floor in our kitchen 3 yrs ago, and we are VERY happy with it. I ordered it on the internet, and when you install this brand, it's unfinished, so you have to apply 3 coats of urethane after the floor's down. Seals the cracks, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here