Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurarenos7

What cork flooring manufacturer is best?

laurarenos7
13 years ago

I am leaning towards cork flooring in my kitchen reno and am wondering if anyone out there has thoughts on which manufacturer provides a better product. The two corks available are Torly's and Wicanders.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has done something unique with their cork flooring such as mixing colours or putting in a border etc. Also, would cork flooring clash with countertops that are granite with a lot of movement?

Comments (12)

• uniquewoodfloors
    13 years ago

We have very good experience with Ipocork.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipocork

• laurarenos7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Andersons. Globus sounds like they offer a product similar to Wicanders which comes in various sizes of tiles as well as planks. I like your idea of the herringbone pattern. We have done 2 teenagers' bedrooms in cork (floating floor) and it looks, feels, and wears great. I have not looked into site applied finishes so that is something I will check out.

• patma
    13 years ago

I wouldn't recommend cork in the kitchen. We are about to replace a Wiccanders cork floor that is only 5 years old. After a couple of years, the seams became quite visible. Then we had a leak under the sink, which traveled under the floating floor and ruined it. I called Wiccanders, and the lady said they don't recommend using cork in the kitchen, which surprised me because they advertise it in kitchens. Never again!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Again, repeating response to patma's complaint.

I don't think your problem was with the cork. It was with the floating floor which is a thin layer of cork over a cardboard type substrate. Wood-look or Tile-look laminate flooring also has that same problem. Our glue down tiles are fine with water. I have boys who constantly leave ice cubes on the floor(from the through-the-door frig dispenser) and I had a dishwasher leak that flooded the floor overnight once. The floor is fine because it was glue-down cork which is cork the whole way through. Think about it - cork sits in wine bottles for years and is fine.

Incidentally, I think it's very strange that patma felt it necessary to revive such old threads to post the complaint so many times.

• malibujim
    13 years ago

I installed a DuroDesign floating cork floor in our kitchen 3 yrs ago, and we are VERY happy with it. I ordered it on the internet, and when you install this brand, it's unfinished, so you have to apply 3 coats of urethane after the floor's down. Seals the cracks, too.

• Jennifer Miller
    9 years ago

Laura which company did you go with? How is it lasting? We are looking at those same two options for cork planks. I'm just about to contact the companies to get some info on the cork thickness and if you need to seal.

• AEC Daily
    9 years ago

I would recommend cork flooring! It's very durable and is cushioned on the feet and it's also great flooring to reduce sound and viberation ! http://aecdai.ly/pv - provides more info on cork flooring if anyone is interested !

• Jennifer Miller
    9 years ago

Brad we are going with cork but not sure about brand. Also has anyone used on stairs?

• attofarad
    9 years ago

Jennifer,
    Would you be putting some sort on nose piece on each step? The edges of the cork planks are quite subject to damage if they are not protected.

• Jennifer Miller
    9 years ago

Yes. The company has those but how slippery would it be?

• attofarad
    9 years ago

Jennifer,

Bona makes an anti-slip version of their Traffic finish in satin, which you could use on the stairs.

http://www.bona.com/en-US/United-States1/BonaSystem/Coatings/Finishes/Bona-Traffic-Antislip/

For my wife's exercise room, I'm going to put two coats of the regular satin Traffic on the floating cork floor, even though it is pre-finished, and probably need to re-coat in a few years.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus