Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardwood in the kitchen... Good or bad idea???

Posted by Karen15 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 21:51

We are breaking ground next week!! Our floorplan is very open. I'm not a fan of breaking up flooring as I feel it makes spaces seem smaller. Is it bad to have hardwood in the kitchen? Would love to hear about anyone experiences. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardwood in the kitchen... Good or bad idea???

If you don't have the big bevels, hand scraped pits and other food-trapping features, it works fairly well.

You have to wipe up spills promptly and have a couple of boxes of flooring in reserve for emergency replacement.

o

Depends what type of flooring you have. The meaning of "hardwood flooring" is very general these days; between solid, engineered construction (which has variables) and finish types all affecting durability and quality, even ability of stuff like spills to seep down between the joints.

People often vote for "yes! never any problems, love it!" But it depends on the actual flooring and type of installation.

o

I've only lived in houses (even growing up) with hardwood in the kitchen. Even back in the two-toned shag carpet days, my parents had hardwood in the kitchen :) I've never had a problem. We have been in our current house for 9 years and just now around the sink looks like it should be refinished. We are not easy on our floors - we have kids and a 80lb dog and I let my kids cook, do science experiments, etc. We have spilled just about everything on them.

All of my floors have been site finished oak. We are now getting ready to remodel and add on to our house and are looking at the wide-plank engineered woods. Haven't made a decision yet though but without a doubt will do hardwood in our kitchen.

o

Thanks everyone!!

o

We've had site finished maple floors (installed by yours truly) in the last three houses over nearly 20 years. No problems, enjoy not having a hard surface like ceramic tile. They've stood up to heavy use, kids and pets with ho issues. I used a super durable catalyzed water-borne finish that seems pretty impermeable to spills.

o

I had solid oak with poly finish in my last kitchen and hated it. It looks nice, but I will not have any solid wood flooring where it would have daily contact with water.

o

I had solid oak with poly finish in my last kitchen and hated it. It looks nice, but I will not have any solid wood flooring where it would have daily contact with water.

o

Some people love hardwood in kitchens and others don't. It all comes down to personal taste...in other words, what is it you want to have as your kitchen floor?

o

I have had site poly finished red oak flooring in my kitchen for 19 years and love it. Lightly top sanded and added a couple of coats of new poly about three years ago....it wasn't bad except around the bar stools, but I was blending/weaving it with a new install in an adjoining room, so it needed it because of that.

I would clean up water spills immediately on vinyl, tile, or wood for safety reasons.

Major water leaks are going to cause major damage to any type of flooring.

Get what you like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here