Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen15_gw

Hardwood in the kitchen... Good or bad idea???

Karen15
10 years ago

We are breaking ground next week!! Our floorplan is very open. I'm not a fan of breaking up flooring as I feel it makes spaces seem smaller. Is it bad to have hardwood in the kitchen? Would love to hear about anyone experiences. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

If you don't have the big bevels, hand scraped pits and other food-trapping features, it works fairly well.

You have to wipe up spills promptly and have a couple of boxes of flooring in reserve for emergency replacement.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Depends what type of flooring you have. The meaning of "hardwood flooring" is very general these days; between solid, engineered construction (which has variables) and finish types all affecting durability and quality, even ability of stuff like spills to seep down between the joints.

People often vote for "yes! never any problems, love it!" But it depends on the actual flooring and type of installation.

• kellyh_2010
    10 years ago

I've only lived in houses (even growing up) with hardwood in the kitchen. Even back in the two-toned shag carpet days, my parents had hardwood in the kitchen :) I've never had a problem. We have been in our current house for 9 years and just now around the sink looks like it should be refinished. We are not easy on our floors - we have kids and a 80lb dog and I let my kids cook, do science experiments, etc. We have spilled just about everything on them.

All of my floors have been site finished oak. We are now getting ready to remodel and add on to our house and are looking at the wide-plank engineered woods. Haven't made a decision yet though but without a doubt will do hardwood in our kitchen.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

We've had site finished maple floors (installed by yours truly) in the last three houses over nearly 20 years. No problems, enjoy not having a hard surface like ceramic tile. They've stood up to heavy use, kids and pets with ho issues. I used a super durable catalyzed water-borne finish that seems pretty impermeable to spills.

• None Ofyourbusiness
    10 years ago

I had solid oak with poly finish in my last kitchen and hated it. It looks nice, but I will not have any solid wood flooring where it would have daily contact with water.

• None Ofyourbusiness
    10 years ago

I had solid oak with poly finish in my last kitchen and hated it. It looks nice, but I will not have any solid wood flooring where it would have daily contact with water.

• glennsfc
    10 years ago

Some people love hardwood in kitchens and others don't. It all comes down to personal taste...in other words, what is it you want to have as your kitchen floor?

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I have had site poly finished red oak flooring in my kitchen for 19 years and love it. Lightly top sanded and added a couple of coats of new poly about three years ago....it wasn't bad except around the bar stools, but I was blending/weaving it with a new install in an adjoining room, so it needed it because of that.

I would clean up water spills immediately on vinyl, tile, or wood for safety reasons.

Major water leaks are going to cause major damage to any type of flooring.

Get what you like.