Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pyrs

Dark v. Light floor in large house- Also Lauzon

Pyrs
9 years ago

Hi Everyone. Redoing floor in a pretty new but formal looking house (turned staircase, conservatory, etc). I however am not a very formal decorator - I do love classic pieces but like to mix pieces for a stylish, a tad ecclectic vibe.

Forever and a day, my husband and I wanted that super dark, almost but not quite ebony floor and white walls Very clean looking. It was always my dream.

However, the first floor is LARGE. From the foyer you can see endless expanses of floor. I am afraid the entire first floor in that super dark color, even though open, will overwhelm me. I also have 3 kids and a dog. I have that color in my bedroom now and have to say I don't love the way other woods look on that super dark wood too and the white dog hair is killing me.

Surprisingly to me, I switched my mind the minute I saw this Lauzon floor, attached. It is pictured with white kitchen's countertop choices (a white marbly quartz for island and raven caeserstone for counters- the tile is not mine). Its this super neutral mid to light floor- very organic looking. Its real hard maple and just gorgeously finished. The picture does not do it justice. I do want a sort of open and casual, art gallery white walls vibe in the house. Its 4 1/4 inch planks.

My concern is rendering the house "too" modern. I don't want that either.

Am I making a mistake by not going for the tried and true dark which will absolutely look good and timeless in the house - the lighter floor is more of a risk, but it is natural and organic looking which can't go wrong, right? Its not lime or white washed. And I do think it may be better with kids and dog and may suit my personality a bit better.

This is the cost of a small luxury car and I don't want to be making a mistake! I feel like b/c you see so much of the whole entire first floor upon entry its got to be something I love! My husband still prefers the dark but is okay with this too.

Would love to reengage the dark v. light debate again. I just want it to last and not be too trendy. I have been to about 5 diff't hardwood stores and keep coming back to this. In a different world, I would love those giant rustic planks but I really don't think it would work in this house. I need something classic but a little modern.

Also, any opinions on lauzon?

Comments (7)

• flora2b
    9 years ago

My experience with dark floors is that they are near impossible to keep clean looking........everything shows on them......you need to decide if you are okay with being a slave to the floor........same goes for real dark cabinets.
    Personally, I stick with the medium colored woods as they are easiest and stay in vogue the longest.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

I think the floor sample shown is beautiful and is a nice "timeless" choice. Of course the dark floors are pretty too but they WILL show everything. I just got about 900 square feet of a darker reddish floor installed and with two dogs, there is hair & dust everywhere. I tore out some light orangy oak in my foyer that was much lighter. I hated the look but it never showed all the hair like the dark does. Still, I'm happy with my new floors. Your choice though seems perfect, it's not super light, but it has enough color to show the true beauty of the hardwood.

• Laurie
    9 years ago

I have Lauzon engineered red oak natural flooring. It's light and does not easily show footprints or dust. I am extremely happy with Lauzon's quality. It's been 5 years and the floor looks great.
    Each board fit together perfectly & there were no defective ones. I would use Lauzon, again, without hesitation.

• sherwhy
    9 years ago

Hi Pyrs,

I have dark hickory graphite wood floors and I fell in love with them instantly because I wanted the same crisp clean look with a lighter grey wall color. Well 4 years living with them I can tell you I notice every little dust particle, dog hair, ( yellow lab) dents and scratches on these floors. It sounds like you have the experience with dark floors and it drives you crazy. I wouldn't do it again. We are building a house and this time I'm going with a much lighter wood floor. I'm also steering clear of white grout and natural stones that stain and etch. I'm going with solid surface counters and more sandy browns. I realize now that the look I love is a style that is great in magazines but not the real world. It would only work for me if I had a maid. Ha!

• Lori Billy
    9 years ago

I also love the ebony stained wood floors. I am building now and need to choose a stain color. I am nervous about ebony after reading all of the negative feedback about looking dirty. My builder suggested a grey stain. The problem is finding the right color of grey. Any suggestions or brands?

• ginger25
    9 years ago

What is the color of the wood in the photo? I think it is beautiful.

• gumspring45
    9 years ago

I just read about gray floors on Maria Killam's website. She makes some good points. I like her ideas in a lot of cases.
    Www.mariakillam.com/grayfloors/