Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xand83

Novalis Plank Install - 2 Questions

xand83
12 years ago

Hi all!

Well, we took the plunge last weekend and bought 450 sq. ft. of the golden oak Novalis plank flooring. It's going to be installed into 2 bedrooms and the master closet / hallway. I mostly finished the master closet yesterday, but I have 2 questions.

- What to do about the glue residue that is sometimes left over? It seems like spit + fingernail is the best method, but it doesn't seem very high tech.

-Also, what to do about some of the small gaps that form legnthwise between some of the boards? Wood filler? Wood-colored caulk? Leave them? We are laying this over a mostly-white vinyl floor, so they stick out a tad.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

The below is the closet at this point. Love the stuff so far!

Comments (4)

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Your floor looks great! We just bought enough to do the house, but haven't yet installed.

Here quotes from the Novalis website:
    "How do I remove adhesive residue on the tile and hands?
    If the adhesive is difficult to remove try using a product named "oops
    painter's wipes". Rinse the area well afterwards with clean warm water
    and allow to dry."

And

What happens if I have a question not answered in your FAQ?
    At Novalis we are always happy to hear from our customers, if you have
    any questions/comments please do not hesitate to call us at
    1-866-NOVALIS or (1-866-668-2547).

Here is a link that might be useful: Novalis FAQ

• floorguy
    12 years ago

The small gaps are from the subfloor not being exactly flat.
    Fill them as you would a wood floor.

Color matching putty.

• xand83
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help! I've ended up pulling up a few boards to run a light layer of glue under them. That really solves the problem with the gaps! I did most of the hallway without glue, and 75% of it feels very solid. But the rest feels a little mushy. I did the bedroom this past weekend and glued all of them down. It feels and looks great! Glue is the way to go for us, as messy as it can be.

As for the extra adhesive, I found that when the adhesive is fresh, the Goo Gone didn't really help much. And, of course, it stinks. Oh well, I just scrub those spots with my fingernail when I notice them.

• babs77
    12 years ago

xand, I only had a minor issue with excess glue and waited till it was mostly dried and then scraped it off with an old credit card. As for the minor gaps I agree that color matching putty is the way to go. You may want to also call Norvalis Customer Service and ask them for suggestions.
    As for the mushy feel, I have one small area that is the same and I suspect that the subfloor is the culprit. Before you install the rest, I would suggest walking the entire floor and if you feel any mushy areas, screw or nail till that area feels more secure.
    Your floor looks awesome!