Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craaaazzy

Builddirect Vanier flooring

craaaazzy
15 years ago

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts of Builddirect's Vanier line of engineered hardwoods? I'm looking specifically at the "Walnut Antique / 9/16"x5"xRandom Lengths" which is handscraped, 4mm top layer, 8-10 ply, with 25 year warranty. Please let me know if you have had experience with this vendor, hardwood brand, etc. TIA.

Comments (10)

• craaaazzy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, let me make it broader. Does anyone have any experience with BuildDirect.com?

• sweeby
    15 years ago

They generally get good reviews online. Google BuildDirect and Complaints and you'll find a couple -- but nothing that caused me grave concern. (Easy to see the other side of the story kind of stuff.) Also, they've been around a long time, so they're not 'fly by night'.

They were also very good about sending samples, and IMO, the samples they sent met or exceeded my expectations. Vanier is, if I'm not mistaken, their 'house brand' -- so you don't really know what you're getting. Of course, that's not necessarily the 'kiss of death' -- just a calculated risk.

I very nearly went with them, but decided on another product.

• craaaazzy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks sweeby. I've searched and they seem to have the fewest complaints compared to other retailers but I wasn't sure if it was due to what I'm assuming is smaller volume compared to the brick and mortar stores like Lumber Liquidators, iFloor, etc. I've ordered some samples so we'll see. Thanks for your feedback.

• tcorliss
    15 years ago

Nightmare. $2k worth of defective laminate. They refuse to acknowledge that there was an issue. I am extremely frustrated and unhappy with them.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Can you provide more details tcorliss? Photos?

• canuck88
    14 years ago

This is an old thread, but tcorliss I'm interested in how that all worked out; they have a 30-day return policy (they even pay shipping)...???!

• mary_smith
    14 years ago

I had a nightmare with Build Direct as well - purchased their Helio glass which they have now dropped - they dropped it nealy as quickly as it started falling off my walls 6 months after installation. The problem is they say is they are neither the manufacturer nor the distributor and gave me the name of some foreign corp to call - and yes you guessed it na-da.

They are clearing out a lot of their laminate stocks - the products from China - so beware, when it falls apart and there are no replacement products in the US and they send you to contact the Chinese just make sure you have brushed up on your mandarin. It is almost comical.

• weirdebay_gmail_com
    13 years ago

They have a very user friendly website and good customer support. As far as I know, they give free samples and also have 100% money back guarantee.. in case you want to return it.

• orangele
    12 years ago

Beware I am currently having a nightmare experience with this flooring. Purchased and installed about 2000 sq feet. After about a week, it started to crack and delaminate. Had independent inspector determine that delamination and cracks were a manufacturing issue. Build direct refuses to do anything but sell me OTHER flooring. So that would mean i would have to tear up 2000 sq feet of brand new flooring that I purchased from them, then buy 2000 sq feet of some other flooring, and then reinstall it. Anyway since Build direct is not supporting their warranty, I am disputing the credit card charge. Please note that they are based in Canada, so it is difficult to sue them. Dont buy from them; dont repeat my nightmare.

• orangele
    10 years ago

Just to summarize for ANY ONE considering buying from BuildDirect why YOU SHOULD RUN AWAY FROM BUILDDIRECT!
    1)Based in Canada. Makes it difficult to pursue them if there is problem with order or product
    2)Most (all?)of BuildDirect flooring products manufactured in China. In my case they misrepresented that product met current North American Standards (HPVA EF2009 standards).
    3) You CANNOT sue them in small claims court and MUST go to Canada to use an arbitrator from a firm that BuildDirect chooses to resolve a dispute.
    4) Their 25 yr warranty is essentially voided by the fact that every house in America will have humidity levels which fall outside the required 35-55% levels required to maintain the warranty. They will use this fact to void your warranty.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH