Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiona55_gw

Please advice - which stain for pine doors to go with oak floors

fiona55
10 years ago

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. And would really appreciate any guidance on picking the right stain for my interior doors. The doors are unfinished pine doors (I've read that pine is harder to stain - but that's what the contractor offered). We are getting new somerset natural red oak hardwood floors.

I have attached a pic below. The floor sample in in the middle and there are four sample stains surrounding it. The orange shade in gunstock, right - english chestnut, bottom - ipswich pine, left - red mahogany. I need to tell the contractor by tomorrow so will greatly appreciate any guidance!

In general should the doors match the wood floor stain or have a contrast to them? The windows have white molding - and I was planning on putting white base molding as well.

Thank You!

Comments (4)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The doors are unfinished pine doors (I've read that pine is harder to stain - but that's what the contractor offered). We are getting new somerset natural red oak hardwood floors.

Pine is easy to stain as long as you remember to use the pre-staining conditioner. It makes it stain more uniformly.

The ipswich pine is the best of the stains.

• User
    10 years ago

With white trim, I would do paint grade doors and paint, not stain. Now, if you were doing stain grade molding, the English Chestnut offers a contrast to the floor while not being in a completely different color family.

• fiona55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your feedback!

• isma2batool
    6 years ago

Hi I am new to the forum. I have pine wood doors and skirtings. I am putting the grey oak effect flooring. Would it look nice. Do the doors have to match the flooring?. What wall paint shall I go for. Please help.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor