Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catheliz_gw

Correct application of Laticrete to fix cracked sub floor?

catheliz
9 years ago

Hi, we're redoing floors throughout the house we just bought (desperately needed -- the 80s carpet was a dingy teal!). After demo, we found the sub-floor has cracks in the bedrooms and living room. The cracks are 1/8 inch or less.
The tile installer was going to use a sheet membrane, but decided on Laticrete Hydro Ban instead, which he said is the preferred method, would last longer, etc...
After application, some of the cracks appear filled in, but the larger ones are still visible. Is that okay?
The installer tells me that while we can still see those fractures, there are no voids, it's one continuous sheet, and it's properly applied.
I thought the material would completely fill in the crack, kind of like filling in imperfections in a cake so the surface of the frosting is smooth. (Never tiled before, so that's the closest analogy I've got!)
Is it okay for him to go forward with tiling or should I request more attention be paid to the cracks first?
(And to make this just a little trickier, I'm checking on this project long-distance, via emailed photos.)
Thank you for any advice and guidance!

Comment (1)

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Hydro Ban is a great material for waterproofing shower walls and floors. For VERY minimal cracks, it might be OK...the operative word here is "might." For larger cracks, I have my doubts. I think a membrane would be preferable and Laticrete makes them, as I recall. Schluter also has "Ditra" which is an isolation membrane and would do the job.

I would suggest that you go over to Laticrete.com and peruse the data sheets on HydroBan and also look at their crack isolation membranes. At least that way, if your installer is so gung ho on Laticrete, you can at least query him on the proper crack supression membranes.

You might also go to Schluter.com and investigate "Ditra."

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County