Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakemurrayfish

Flooring Pro? what next -- how to prep for new floor

lakemurrayfish
9 years ago

10 years ago we converted an attached garage to a beautiful kitchen, A floor structure was framed above the slab to meet the rest of the house flooring. Now the slab foundation is failing and the weight of all the granite and cabinets have produced a major sag in the middle of the room.

We are working with a foundation repair company who will cut three 3 ft square holes in the floor to access and cut holes in the slab to install helical piers to support the main beam.

To complicate things a little, there are 2 layers of flooring in this room now on top of the subfloor.
Adura was installed and then a laminate floor was later floated on top of that. We plan to remove the laminate, and they will cut through the Adura and subfloor since I believe the Adura is glued down.

Questions ~
To install new flooring, I understand it would be best to have one smooth surface to work with. Will it be possible to patch cuts in the subfloor/Adura well enough to put a new flooring on top of it?

What type of flooring would be most forgiving in this situation where the room may not be totally level and we have some cuts to cover up? Will the cuts in the subfloor show through a luxury vinyl product?

All the layers of flooring has made the refirgerator a close fit to the cabinet above and there isn't room for another layer of flooring. We are looking for an alternative to the laminate. What would this be a thinner option?

Should we have a professional advising us on this project? Since it was the contractor that put us in this fix in the first place, I'm not sure where to go for advice.

Thanks for giving this puzzle some consideration. I look forward to suggestions.

Comments (4)