Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiling over outdoor pebble epoxy/resin coat

Posted by ladoladi (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 20:18

Hi,

We are looking to install slate tiles on our outdoor patio. Currently, it has a layer of very small pebbles mixed with an epoxy resin. The pebbles frequently come loose and there are 2 or 3 visible cracks through the resin suggesting there may be some cracks in the concrete slab beneath.

One tile setter said he would put sealer/filler over the cracks, but set the tile right over the pebbles. The second tile setter suggested removing the pebbles and epoxy because the small gaps in the pebbles could lead to moisture build-up and sealing the cracks in the slab. We live in Florida and have a pool on the other side of the patio.

My gut tells me the first guy is just trying not to do the work of removing the pebbles and epoxy and that it would be a much better and cleaner install without the pebble and epoxy underneath. Am I overthinking or wrong?

Thank you. Your input is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiling over outdoor pebble epoxy/resin coat

Now that is an interesting question...something we don't see here often...unique, to say the least.

How much is it going to cost to remove the pebble layer? Perhaps that is the way to go, but how well-bonded is the pebble layer?

o

In all likelihood, we would be doing the pebble-coat removal, so it wouldn't really be a matter of cost but time and sweat. I'm not sure how well bonded the pebble-coat is. We're considering trying to remove it at least in one spot, but I wanted reassurances that I wasn't totally crazy for thinking it would be a better tile job without the pebble-coat underneath.

o

Slate can be quite slippery in the presence of moisture. And it gathers moss quite readily in shade. It's not a product I would want to install around a pool. I would investigate a porcelain look alike that has a high COF for better traffic safety in wet conditions.

And yes, anything installed over a failing epoxy coating has a super high chance of failing as well. The epoxy should be removed and the condition of the underlying slab assessed for slope and structural integrity. If it's cracked, and settled, and possibly directing rainwater runoff incorrectly, then it too should be removed and a new base poured. Then decorative stamping might make more sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here